• In the Spotlight:

19month old development. Please help especially SAHM

Hi, I just wanted some topics that you guys cover with your children. I have a 19month old DD and would like to know what topics/activities should I be covering with her. This is my first child and I do not want her to be like my sister's kids and raised on TV all day. Things like talking to them constantly, explaining their actions, why am I doing this and that, etc. Please help. I want her to be well-rounded because I do not plan to sign her up for preschool until she is about 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• colors, animals, abc's, counting, those are the kind of things you can throw into normal conversation. like counting her crackers at snack time etc...you can sing the abc's when its time to clean up. you can also show her letters on packages for food etc...and then when she gets that and can point them out you can tell her the sound they make and the easy words that start with them b=bye bye, that sort of thing. animal sounds, when you see a dog say see the doggy doggys go woof woof...etc....
    19 months you can also start to explain manners, please, and thank you are easy to grasp at that age. from there i went to excuse me when walking in front of someone or if someone is talking, looking at people when you say good bye etc...thanks for having me things like that.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months old. I sit her in her high chair for about 30-35 minutes a day and I have flash cards that have colors, numbers, shapes, animals, weather. things like that. also anything with the alphabet on it.

Now my 18 month old watches tv but i watch it with her and we discuss everything she sees. I always only let her watch the noggin channel. if you have directv it is channel 301. I love it. It is preschool tv for children and really teaches them. but I don't blame you. i only let my daughter and son to watch around 2-3 hours of tv a day. they usually just like to play in their room or living room anyway.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:48 PM on May. 11, 2009

• A friend of mine is a SAHM and she keeps her cereal boxes so she can cut letters and numbers out of them and her and her kids color them and try to put the numbers in order and she makes up fun games to go along with it. that way its fun but they are still learning.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• The way I teach my son is just talking to him all day long. Point out the little things. Follow her lead. When we read books we talk about what letters are in the books and point to them. We talk about the colors that are around us. We talk about the weather. Don´t forget car rides are a GREAT time for learning on the go. Talk about what you see and hear. Talk about what things feel like.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 6:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• We just play music, dance, talk, have fun... go for walks, that sort of thing.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 8:59 PM on May. 11, 2009