How old were your kids when you stopped having to monitor them while brushing their teeth?

My kids are almost 3, 5, and 6 (all about to celebrate birthdays). I feel like if I'm not in there, the 3 and 5 year old will squirt way too much onto their brush and goof around.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• We still brush our 3 and 5 year olds teeth first then they get to do it themselves. I think I will be doing this for a while too. DH and I both have terrible teeth and we want to save our little ones from our teeth.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• He's 13 and I still have to monitor.
    Anonymous

• Anon 2:20pm, That was just what I was thinking too. If I don't watch my 13 yr old brush his teeth, he doesn't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• She is 7, and I still brush her teeth first, and then she does it herself. I will probably do that for another 2 years or so. Until I feel she will do a good enough job.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• 13 or so... when they start to get 'close up' with other girls/boys, you won't be able to stop them from brushing!!! Mine even use mouthwash now! Takes longer than fixing their hair!!!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:57 PM on May. 12, 2009