Will I get Cancer?

I was tested to see if I have a gene for cancer. but the doctor said I have the gene. My great grand mother died at the age of 71 of ovarian cancer. Now does it mean I have the gene for that cancer, or just any cancer? I don't understand, and does this mean I WILL get cancer? Anyone else been through this. I already have a cyst on my ovary but they said it should dissolve on its own in about 3 months. HELP!! FREAKING OUT HERE!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Health

• It means that you have the gene that causes cancer, it doesn't mean that you will develop cancer. Your doctor should have told you more about this, I would suggest calling the doctor back and ask him for more information. That is his job.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Doesn't mean you'll get cancer, it just means you are more likely to get cancer than someone that does not have the gene. The doctor should have explained all of this to you.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• No it does'nt mean you will get it,just that your chances are higher,your Dr should talk to you about things you can do to lower your risk,make him take time to explain himself better to you.Good Luck to you.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Over the course of our lives, as many as 1 in 4 of us will develop some form of cancer. There are many ways to reduce your risk; mostly involving living a heathier lifestyle. These include reducing stress, not smoking, regular exercise, meditation or prayer, removing toxins from your home, especially cleaners and foods, eating clean and whole foods. If you have any questions, please contact me directly.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Check your magic 8 ball, that's the only reliable way to determine if you will get it or not.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:57 AM on May. 12, 2009