How much for childcare?

Hi Ladies,
Im having a little dilemma, I live in Michigan and I watch 2 little boys, one is almost 2 and the other is 11 weeks old. I have been doing childcare for this family for almost a year. When they first asked me about childcare they said it would be 50 hours a week and they would pay $25 a day per child. I provide 2 meals a day as well as a few other necessities. Now the hours are fluctuating between 55 and 60 hours and now I have to feed 3 times a day because of the change in hours, they have never asked if this was ok nor ever say anything about the time difference or pay me any more, EVER. What would you do in this situation and what is the going cost of childcare for these ages and 55-60 hours a week? Thanks for your input.

sammiemommy

Asked by sammiemommy at 1:48 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well I do daycare in the state of maryland. From 7-5 Mon-Friday. Both of the children are still infants until they are 2 and for 50 hour weeks, here I would charge 175 dollars a piece. For 55-60 hours (which I never do) I would even think of charging 190 a piece. Hope this helps. But I do not know the going rate for child care in Michigan...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Usually once you go past 50 hours you impose a late fee of so much an hour per child. So I would write something up and tell them that if this continues they will be paying you $10 more an hour for both kids and that you want them to send food and diapers and whatever else for their kids. Write up a contract for them and what you will charge for the 50 hours and then go from there based off food and late times. 25 per child is around the average but you could tell them you need 35 an hour for the food and late pick ups.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think,they are being very disrespectful to you,I live in Va,and I get 30.00 a day,I get paid much less than you,but they always tell me when they will be late,early etc,and bring all meals ,and snacks.If you are comfortable ,have a talk with them,and let you know what you expect,and conpromise on more pay,or less hours. Good Luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 1:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think you need to set some ground rules. My kids go to daycare/preschool 3 full days per week, for 2 of them I am paying $1090 a month.... you have those kids 5x per week with over time, you need to charge more.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would start charging them $35 a day per child, because of the extra time and the food. I'm watching my neighbor kids from 8:30 to 7, tues and thurs. and then noon to 7, mon. wed. and fri, and I make $20 a day, but I'm only providing one meal, and they are 5 and 6 years old!
    kammnm

Answer by kammnm at 5:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would say that if you don't want to raise your rates on them, then need to provide a meal for the kids. Any daycare facility would charge for an increase in hours, they can't expect you not to.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 6:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• They need to start paying you. Ask them about they're situation and explain what you think is best to do. Either you should get paid more or they should be doing something more, like providing meals. If I have one of my babysitters watch my child, I either pay them $15 a day or watch their kids in return. If I had the money I would pay them more, though. Now I just found out that I may be able to get help paying for child care through the county. If it's a case that they don't have enough money then they should look into help from the county until they can get back on their feet. But, either way, there is no excuse for what they are doing.
    jvann1

Answer by jvann1 at 8:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• First off $25 a day fro two children for 50 hours a week is a steal! Do you realize you are charging roughly $1.25 per child! That is insane for how old they are. You need to at LEAST double your rates to accomodate their new :"schedule" and if I were you I wouldnt be shy about asking for more. Honestly these people are taking advantage of you. Good Lord if I could find someone to watch my 8 month old for $1.25 an hour I would just go back to work. I would say $50 a day for two children under the age of 3 and three meals a day is less than reasonable but if you go any higher you mgiht lose the, theyd be back in a week or so but you would be without pay for a little while
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• scratch that I didnt see PER CHILD lol but yes you deserve to raise your rates maybe $10 a day or so something needs to be done they are not being respectful at all
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm in Indiana and charge $20 a day per child and I don't care what age. Infants need more attention but older kids eat more and use craft supplies etc. This is for a 50 hr week. Anything over and above is additional charges and I choose to do $3 an hr. I'm fairly average priced for my area. There are some people in my area charging $40 a week per child! Just think what you would think as a fair rate if you had to pay someone. Parents understand.... but they aren't going to offer more money if you don't ask. Remember all meals are tax deductable too!
    midwestmommy574

Answer by midwestmommy574 at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2009