How do you determine your babys nickname?

I have a three week old son named James Ryder. Everyone has caught onto calling him J.R., Jimmy, "Sweet baby James". How do I determine what nickname to stick with so that he does not get confused when he is older.

kweenspade0503

Asked by kweenspade0503 at 2:01 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He won't get confused IMO just call him what you like and it will mostly stick, but other people may always call him something else. Its ok to have an aunt that always had her own special name for him, he will learn them all.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Funny little question. =) I wouldn't worry about confusion. The nickname either ends up picking itself or he'll have more than one. My DS #1 gets called several things including Bug, buggie, and of course peanut, sweetie, honey, you name it. he always knows it's him we're referring to.
    MamaJAG

Answer by MamaJAG at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son is Latrell Jakob Ray, we call him LJ, Jakey, Jake-man, Jakey-Ray. What every comes out. He's almost four now, and responds to all of them. You just gotta stick with what you like. When I was a kid my grandparents and friends wanted to call me Annie (my name's Annette) but my mother wouldn't let them. She said "I named her Annette, you will call her Annette" I would have loved to have a nick-name, so I will not restrict my son. LOL :-)
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 2:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• All of mine have had evolving nicknames and they all know who they are. If you prefer a certain one, I would just use that one and most everyone will eventually pick up on it. I'd say, "Sweet baby James" will probably just fade away on it's own as it becomes less appropriate.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I fought the nickname thing with my oldest. Everyone instantly wanted to call him Matt.. I was like..excuse me I named him Matthew so he would be called Matthew.Right up until the first day of Kindergarten. He came home and said so proudly" I have a new name, it's Matt and I like it" He only gets called Matthew now when Im upset with him. With my youngest his brother started calling him Marky when he was a baby. Right before Kinder started it hit me this could be a real problem in school "baby name' stuff like that. So we made the effort to only call him Mark. It was really hard for a few weeks. My grandkids are Bubba and Sissy, it just sort of evbolved that way.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have a niece named Savannah and we call her Ru Ru and have since the day she was born. She knows what her name is but she calls herself Ru as well. Our DD's name is Brailyn and we call her pumpkin doodle, doodle bug, monkey, pumpieumpkins and many more but she knows her name. Find what you like and use it. Use his name as well and it wont matter how many names he has.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• We didn't give or allow nicknames for the boys. We named them what we want them to be called.

Now, when they get into school and their friends/classmates give them one...that's a different story.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Just whatever comes out of your mouth.
    My daughter is named Kennedy but we call her Kenny, deedle, and my mom has started calling her eddie (like eddie vedder lol)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• He will always know his name. And a nickname is just something extra. My Daughter's Name is Ava and her middle name is Nicole so we call her CoCo. We call my son Brady "B" or my other Son Ashton "A Man" or Ash.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 2:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well my daughters name is Valeria Isabel. We didn't want to call her Val so we just decided to nickname her by her initials VIP.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:31 PM on May. 11, 2009