Traveling. On a Plane. With my 20-months-old Dd. HELP!

We're going to Florida at the end of the month and my Dd is coming with us. We're going to be flying down on a flight that shouldn't last but about an hour. We've never flown together; it's her first time flying at all! Does anyone have some good advice as to how I can entertain her? How can I help alleviate any ear pressure for her? What's the best flight-travel tips you've got?! Please PLEASE help me - I'm terrified she's going to scream the entire trip! I'm afraid she's going to want to run the aisles and not sit on my lap. There's a million scenarios playing in my head; I'm just looking for advice from moms who have gone through this before!

mommaruth07

Asked by mommaruth07 at 2:05 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd was 14 months old when we went to Florida, and the flight was around 3 hours. We chose the first flight out, about 6:30 in the morning, hoping she would sleep. Since sucking can help with their ears, my dd had a bottle at take off, (which I'm sure yours is too old for,but try a sippie) and fell asleep for almost 2 hours. That last hour was a lot of shuffling her between us, playing with the toys we brought, coloring, etc. I gave her her pacifier at landing, and her ears didn't seem to bother her at all. Bring things your daughter can look at, preferably that she's never seen before: new coloring books and crayons, puzzles, small toys that she can mess around with. These things can also come in handy on the trip in restaurants or whatever. Just remember to stay calm. If you flip out, she will too.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 5:56 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well if its a short flight its going to be a small plane and she wont be able to run. Have a cup for her to drink while landing and bring a few toys with you. I know when I flew with my 6 month old I thought she would scream too and the sound of the jets put her to sleep before we took off. I know for our flights I had 2 lay overs each way and they tried putting me in a seat alone so she could sit on the seat next to me and not on me. So bring a cup or a sucker with you for her to suck on and a few toys and she will be fine, it will be over before you know it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I made sure I picked a seat by the window for my son so he would watch the clouds and as we took off and landed. I made sure he had something to drink while taking of and landing (swallowing helps ear presser). I asked for extra "cookies" for him to snack on and he did perfectly. Well except for throwing his stuffed cat and elmo on the floor and at the person in front of him. It wasn't that bad of a ride. Good luck!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 2:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm bringing lolipops for my 2 yr old. Crayons, paper, play doh, and a portable VHS player.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:18 PM on May. 11, 2009