• In the Spotlight:

What is your opinion on divorce?

I don't want to start a debate, I just want some opinions. My husband and I were talking and we feel that the only reasons for a divorce are if there is abuse (on the husband, wife, or child) or EXTREME cheating. We feel that we were big enough to make this commitment to each other, and therefore we are big enough to fight for it and work things out. So what do you ladies think? I don't care if you're married, single, divorced, or widowed. I just want opinions. Thanks!! :-)

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 2:19 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't believe in it. You take the vows until death do you part. You promise to love, honor and cherish this one person and unless they are dead your breaking your vows. I don't see how you can take the same vows over and over and promise the same thing to someone new when the time is right. If I got divorced I would never remarry but my husband and I have 10 years together, 8 married and I don't see us divorcing and we have been to hell and back with each other. You name it and we've been there from abuse to cheating. We made our marriage a priority and we are making it work because we do love each other and being young and stupid was the reason we got married and loving each other was just an extra at that time.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• i would never get divorced without fighting for it..period. its a life long commitment unfortunately i think too many ppl take that commitment lightly
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• my parents divorced because they just...didnt get along anymore. she told me he wasnt emotionally supportive, always talked crap about her family...and they just fought a lot. my sister and I never witnessed it, but for as long as I can remember, my dad has his own room downstairs. the divorce was a rough one. me and sis were in the middle quite often, and they brought each other to court a lot. I dont think abuse or cheating are the only reasons for divorce. sometimes the little things can really add up and cause tension which cannot be healed, even after therapy, sometimes couples just...grow apart.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You and your hubby seem to have a good head on your shoulders..
    but the problem is other people do not.
    When I got married, I believed in my vows. I would have fought for my marriage...no matter what..
    The problem was when the problems arised, I was the only one fighting for my marriage..
    Only one working on it = divorce.
    You can not have a marriage if it is just one person wanting it...
    I now am engaged to the man I never thought exsisted...
    I still do belive in marriage and commitment and working as a team...
    There will be no divorce this time, I am with my soulmate.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:29 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think that too many people run to that as an option rather then working on their issues. I understand divorce if there's abuse: physical, mental, emotional. I also think that drug use is a deal breaker. As well as infidelity. Otherwise, I think people should have to work on their marriage before a judge grants a divorce.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think as a last resort if you're just not getting along anymore and are fighting constantly. That would hurt any kids involved more than a divorce would. Other than that, only in cases of abuse, cheating, or where there is no trust or love left.
    Anonymous

• Its hard to say. i wouldnt want it to happen with me and my husband but i have seen alot of people stay togeather when they just didnt love eachother anymore and it took a toll on the kids. I dont stand for it or agianst it in either way because unless someone is in that situation i dont belive you know what you would do. A friend of mine just found out that her husband has slept with 4 other women and she is still standing strong my his side.
    Anonymous

• I have an extremely strong opinion about divorce.

Too many people these days take those vows WAY too lightly. Unless you're being abused or your children are being abused, or you've tried EVERYTHING, mulitple times, you need to fight for your marriage. You VOWED your life to that person, until DEATH do you part. And you fight with every last fiber in your being to keep that marriage together. Pray...God works some amazing miracles.

True love is loving that other person, even if they don't deserve it. And fighting for your love, even when you feel like you're fighting alone.

carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 2:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• agree with moki1984 . and carliemarie1015
    Anonymous

• you said it best carliemarie1015! True love is loving that other person, even when they don't deserve it and to fight for love even if it means fighting alone!

That is what I'm living with now. My husband is thee most self centerd ass right now but the feelings are still strong enough to wait things out until there is a time to talk about his selffish-ness and why I'm feeling resentful. There is a time and place to talk, chooosing the wrong time or place leads to arguements.
    Another thing too about marriage is kids needs to see both parents fight through the ups and downs, not just give up.
    I saw that as a kid and thought, as an adult if theres fighting then you give up. In turn my first marriage wasn't fought for hard enough. Then went to long as a single parent and it took years for my kids to get adjusted to a man in the house.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:49 PM on May. 11, 2009