Honest help..I HAve a RAcist neighbor sending us annonymous letters

I dont know wht to do, i dont know whom it can be, i dont associate much with my neighbors, i live a busy life but the letters are mailed and dropped off at my mail boxs, and my cameras where off yesterday when they dropped off another letter.. i am caucasian my husband is hispanic both born here in the us, but the letter calls us racial names and to return to our country, and they know how we live and that we have children, someone is watching, what do i do, id like to move?? cant but police say unless there are death threats cant do anything.. Thanks live in socal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Call your local police department.
    Anonymous

• That is really scarey. I would try to get them on camera. And i would deffinetly talk to the kids about it. They should be aware of their surroundings. Keep a log, date , time, basic info of the contents in the note & make sure all your windows and doors are locked at night. Keep calling the police, if you get them on camera maybe they will do something. Once you find out who it is, then maybe they can aleast talk to the person. Good luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:40 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Deffinatly call the police and keep a diary of it. The po can come out and watch your home while your at work. I would even hire a private investigator. Just keep the kiddos safe. People are so mean out there!!
    ellies3boys

Answer by ellies3boys at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm married to Hispanic man and have 3 boys too and we get stares but if the letters are not death threats then i would just act like nothing is wrong your giving in to them just what they want. Kindness is the worst thing a person hates if they are looking for drama.

lulu589

Answer by lulu589 at 2:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Are all of your neighbors white? If there are any who aren't, see if they've received anything too. If that's not an option, try and pick one that you don't think it would be and fill them in (make sure you don't insinuate at all that you consider them a choice - make it clear you don't believe it would be, but that you hoped they might have a guess at who would). Neighborhood gossip mills can accomplish a lot if their power is harnessed for good.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Putting mail without postage in a mailbox is tampering with the mail and is a federal offense.
    Anonymous

• I'd keep calling the police until they did something. Maybe if they get sick of hearing from you, they'll do something about it!! That's ridiculous that you have to put up with that.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:40 PM on May. 11, 2009

• How scary and I would take this seriously. Most people, even those that are racist, do not intend to do you personal harm. They may not like your skin color, may make nasty comments, not allow their children to date your children...but they do not send letters in your mailbox. Most of them would even say, "but I'm not racist. I have firends that are____" Every once in a while you might run up against someone who is truly mentally ill or so full of anger and hate that it becomes deadly. Anyone who takes the time to write a letter, enter your property, and let you know what they are thinking - you need to make law enforcement aware of. Also keep the cameras on. L.E. might not be able to do anything yet with no clear threat but they can issue a no trespassing order if they know who it is.
    Anonymous

• Like Anon said, tampering with mail is a federal offense. And harrassment is against the law as well. Keep all correspondance you've recieved and take it to the police so that they can open an investigation on this matter! Even if you can't catch the people, they might be able to with fingerprints or their own surveillance. Keep everything you recieve or give it to the police, so when the person/s are caught you have sufficent evidence to link all the letters as coming from the same person/people and how long its been going on as well as the context of the letters. This could be both criminal and civil! Keep good records of when you recieved the letters (days and times, etc) also!

But, contact your local police by going to the station and filing/starting a report. This is the first step.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If the letters are ANONYMOUS, and you have no witnesses or irrefutable proof how do you know it's them?! Even Judge Judy wouldn't rule in your favor! Just sayin! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:03 PM on May. 11, 2009