How do yo get your child to wipe his butt after he poops or at least tells you that he needs his butt wiped?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has been potty trained since he was almost two. He's four now and just now started wiping his own butt. He refused. I think children hate it bc they think its nasty and if you'll do it why would they? lol. Finally I had enough and I said "I don't care if you sit there all day long. You are wiping your own bottom" it took about a week of hysterical meltdowns and then one day he just gave up and started doing it himself. If you just ignore it eventually they'll do it. Wish I'd done that two years ago!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:47 AM on May. 13, 2009

• for my daughter when she goes on the potty, i tell her to call mommy before she gets toilet paper. (she tends to get alot) but that way i can supervise the wiping part of things and help if she needs me to. and then i can make sure she washes her hands right too. she also likes the kandoo wipes, the wet wipes that can be flushed, it is easier for her to get her whole bottom clean when she uses those than it is w/toilet paper.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:30 PM on May. 11, 2009

• When you figure this out, let me know. I am in the same boat as you.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• ME TOO!!! 6 yo stepson just can't seem to get it....I don't get how they can stand wearing dirty underwear all day!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:44 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Depends on the age...if the child is 6 years old and doesn't know how to wipe themselves, then its guiding and showing them how to do it...if younger than 3, then you may have to do it and then show them how to do it so when they get 6, you won't have this problem...
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 3:10 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son's about 60/40 on butt-wiping these days - 60% I do it and 40% he does it. He's getting better as the months pass by because he equates wiping his own butt with being a big boy - and that is something he wants. I started by doing it, then having him do it while I watch, guiding him verbally on where he needs to wipe (not JUST the cheeks), and then wiping for him if he didn't get it right. Now when he goes, it's based on proximity - if I'm in there with him, I generally wipe. If I'm not in the bathroom, then I tell him that he needs to do it and he does. He'll be 4 next month, so I think by the time he's 5, he'll be doing it all on his own (cause I know I won't be!).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It is funny to see we are all in the same boat. My 4 yr old daughter used to do it herself. But now she absolutely refuses too. She'll break down in hysterics over it if I refuse to do it. She still won't. She is such a big girl in every area that she is, but for this. It is most ew and frustrating.
    RebeccaTalRue

Answer by RebeccaTalRue at 5:18 PM on May. 11, 2009