Help! I really want to understand...

Some analysts maintain that the U.S is poorly served by a Congress that is often beset by inaction and localism. Supporters of the Congress maintain that the institution is superior deleberated and representative institution. Which argument is more persuasive and why?

I answered this question for someone else, but I don't thinkI really understood what was being asked. Could someone please explain to me whats being asked here. Don't answer the question if you son't want to, just explain the question to me, please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• These are people who want to get rid of Congress. It is still the best thing going despite its warts. The representatives are there to speak the wishes of their constituency. If you don't tell them what you want, they will vote how they want it (and some do this even after hearing the wishes of the people they represent). If you don't like the way someone represents, fire them by voting them out. Push for reforms like term limits. If we do away with Congress, then we replace it with what - the Polak Bureau? (sp?)

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Again, when is your paper due?

The question is asking if Congress is failing the people because it spends too much time pandering for re-election instead of taking decisive action on issues, or, is it doing a good job by going out of its way to best represent the people who elected them from all walks of life. Which one makes more sense to you, and support why it does.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Personally I agree with the previous poster again.
    However I also feel that the duties of Congress have been polluted over the years and they have become too powerful in their worship over the almighty dollar. Congress takes for granted their perks they are entitled to even AFTER they leave office (mistake number one) and cannot compromise on ANYTHING unless it involves earmarks and favors(mistake number two), again which all cost money and have nothing to do with the betterment of constituency ie voters.
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 4:22 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't get rid of congress, but I would like to see it have term limits to limit some of the corruption.

I would also like to see more power in the hands of states and local governments.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:46 PM on May. 11, 2009