anti-depressants and breastfeeding

I am going to be on anti-depressants after my son is born. I have made the decision with my doc not to take them while pregnant but to start after the birth. I plan to breast feed as I did with my first child only minus the anti-depressants. Has anyone ever had to take anti-depressants while they BF? I have talked about the pros and cons with my doc but would like some input from other moms. Breastfeeding is very important to me to the point that I will discontinue the medication until my child is off the breast.
I will not change my stance on BF so I'm just looking for others that have been in this situation NOT feeding advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 3 kids. First two, no anti-depressants. Doctors thought it would harm babies. I suffered horrible panic attacks and depression after births. After 2 was born, I began anti-depressants when he was about 3 months old. I breastfed him the entire time. I never stopped taking them from then on and took them for entire 3rd pregnancy. It was the easiest pregnancy of the 3--no panic attacks, no depression, and no horrible all day sickness. Also breastfed her entire 1st year while on them. The antidepressants did no harm to me or either of my babies. If anything, they helped tremendously because I have a tendancy to have panic attacks often without them.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• After I had my twins, I tries very very hard to breastfeed. But I just couldnt produce the milk needed to feed twins. So my doctor prescribed me Reglan. It's an anti deppressant with side affects of producing more milk. I eventually stopped taking it because it had bad effects on ME. but nothing bad happened to my kids, it was fine.

SamiSueplus2

Answer by SamiSueplus2 at 2:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If you suffer from severe depression I would rethink your position on this. My sisters depression got so bad she drowned her daughter. She refused to take her meds for her depression and it led to PPP. I would do what is best for your child which is make sure mom is mentally healthy.

I had to stop nursing my first due to depression. It really sucked but my children have thrived with a physically and mentally healthy mom. Breast is best but if mommy is sick and needs meds it isn't.
    Anonymous

• Anti depressants are safe for moms to take while nursing. You'll want to start with Paxil on the lowest dose. Then if Paxil doesn't do the trick to Zoloft. Last resort use Prozac. If the Prozac dosage gets high have your baby tested to see what his levels of the anti depressant are. GL.

www.kellymom.com has some great information.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Wanted to add www.askdrsears.com because this is where I got the information on which ones to take.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Personaly, my mental health was more important to me than BF. IMO you need to rethink your stance on this and talk to your doctor about it before making that kind of a stand.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 4:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yes, you can treat your depression and breastfeed. That is the combination that is best for you and your baby!
    Actually, Zoloft is the first choice. not Paxil "The use of Zoloft, on the other hand, has been reported in more than 30 breastfed infants, and appears to transfer poorly to the infant and with no reported effects. Thus far plasma levels in most infants have been close to or below the limit of detection, with no reports of untoward effects in the infant. At this time, Zoloft is probably the SSRI of choice for nursing mothers. Several reports of Paxil use suggest that its levels in breastmilk are exceedingly low, and the amount transferred to the infant would be minimal."
    I nursed both my babies over a year each while on zoloft.
    check out The Protective Effects of Breastfeeding for Infants of Depressed Mothers at http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/breastfeeding/medications-breastfeeding-side.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• SamiSueplus2 I'm sorry to say that you were misinformed when you were prescribed Reglan to increase milk supply. It is NOT an antidepressant!!! It is a digestive drug that has the side effect of increasing milk supply. The other major side effect is DEPRESSION! I know moms who were given this, and never told about the risks of depression on this drug, the risk is very high and Reglan should be used with much caution and only short term.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Medications for depression are safe while breastfeeding, refusing to take meds when needed is unsafe. Its actually proven that the hormones released while nursing will help lower the depression, so its better to Bf than not in hormonal standpoint
    http://www.kellymom.com/ppd/ppd.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ppd-herbal.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/ppd/index.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Zoloft if safe. I'm on it and bfing.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:15 PM on May. 11, 2009