How do you get a 6yo boy to wipe properly and consistently??

We have been OVER this and OVER this with him but he'd rather sit in dirty underwear all day than take the extra time to really wipe. We even went so far as to make him come get one of us everytime he goes potty so we can watch to make sure he does it right....he's my stepson so I feel that this is something my husband needs to take control of, but nothing is working and I'm tired of dealing with stained underwear!!! HELP!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:42 PM on May. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OMGosh!!! This is boy thing and I have found that most boys consistently smell like poop until about the age of 12 or 13!! They should make disposable underwear for them, because they don't care if they wipe well or not, they are perfectly happy to lug around industrial size skids marks on a daily basis! We went through this with our son, who is now 18, and we still tease him about it. I started out making him hand wash his underwear himself before I would wash them with anything else, then, for a while, it got so bad, I just started throwing his underwear away and made him buy new ones with his birthday money! Glad that's over... BUT... his little brother is only 3 & I still wipe him myself... maybe I'll just do it till he's about 12 or so!! LOL.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Does he like baths? If he doesn't, maybe plop him down in the bathtub right when he gets home from school, and before he goes to school to get it through to him. If he complains or asks why you have to do that just say something like, "Well you aren't a big enough boy to wipe well on your own so we have to give you baths a lot to keep you from smelling like poop." You may also emphasize the fact that people won't want to play with someone who stinks, and that may get him to wipe better. (who wants to be the stinky kid with no friends?)
    Anonymous

• Are you kidding? Just ask most wives how often they find skid marks in their husbands' drawers. I don't think they EVER learn to wipe properly! LOL!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 3:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Sometimes when my DD is in a rush, she will not wipe well.
    So when she soils her underpants, I tell her now she needs to clean them.
    She knows that if she does not clean them that they have to go in the garage, and
    she loves her undies...
    So she tries to wipe better because she does not want to see her Tinker Bell undies
    go in the trash..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• **OP**
    I did have him wash them out once because I was so fed up and he really didn't like that. Maybe I need to have him do that when they are real bad - I like the idea of making him buy new ones too...maybe we can start a small allowance and if he ruins underwear he'll have to spend his own money on new ones! That might give him some incentive to wipe!
    Thanks all - I agree too that even grown men don't seem to mind skid marks! What is wrong with boys???? YUCK!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• its a boy think i think. we try to remind my SS who is 5 everytime he comes out of the bathroom. he has improved. another thing if he likes special underwear like action characters and such i would tell him that you will throw them away if the stains are too bad. and then i say do it. and when he is low on underwear don't buy the cool ones, just buy the plain ones. and if he really didn't like washing them out i would continue to have him do that too. however, for us really reminding him worked best. i told him to keep wiping until the toilet paper came back clean. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• EVERY time my son goes in the bathroom, I make him check my "instruction chart" that is above the toilet. It has gotten to this point. I literally hear him in there looking at pics (he's just starting to read), and he'll recite, loud enough for me to hear, "Lid down, flush, wipe, wash hands, toilet paper isn't empty." I think our biggest battle, unfortunately, is FLUSH!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• MY SON DOES THE SAME THING! Ugh I swear I thought I was the only one. I bought my son the packs of kid flushable wipes. His skin is so sensitive that he will tell me when his butt is red. I go in the bathroom when I think he has been in there long enough and sure enough "poops" he tells me. We have gone over "4 sheets of paper is enough to wipe" and he has that in his hand but I don't think he knows how to wipe cleanly and consistently. I buy all different types of paper to be certain something will work for him so I buy him the kandoo wipes. His skin is less irritated and spends less time going potty. It has also cut down on the severity of visible marks in his underwear.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:24 AM on May. 12, 2009

• well....My baby brother is 19 and still has this problem.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:29 AM on May. 12, 2009

• i bought my daughter wet ones for her bottom cuz she dont wipe well either and its working for her.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 7:13 PM on May. 13, 2009