almost 4 year old daughter takes forever to eat meals- up to 1 hour!

Ok mommies. I tried searching but to no avail.

I have never had this problem until now and I am just at wits end. I have a 3 year old who will be 4 in 3 months. So she is almost 4. She takes forever to eat! I have never supported this so I do not know why she does this! Some things she will eat quickly such as apple sauce and pasta- u know she has her choice favs she will eat anytime and at a decent rate. Her appitite is fine but some times she will take forever to eat. I do not give her a lot of new things. She has been exposed to a lot and so I know her likes and dislikes pretty well. Even when it is something she likes well, sometimes she will just take forever eating it.

She eats at the table for all meals. Generally we eat at least dinner together. But it does not matter it is just at random. And at random meals. Breakfast is always 1 hour though. I have given time limits that did not change. why/advice.

esthermarie

Asked by esthermarie at 3:02 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm a slow eater and I'm 42 years old..it takes me forever to eat something...it's not that I'm pre-occupied with anything, it's just that I'm a slow eater and have always been a slow eater. Growing up, I was always the last one through and now that I'm grown, I'm still that way...while growing up, my mom allowed me the time to eat...she didn't throw out my food nor did she get upset. She allowed me to eat how I chose to eat...as long as I ate all my food, she wasn't concerned about it...I also have a dd that eats slow as well. I let her take her time cause I'd rather have this issue of her eating slow than to have the issue of her not eating at all...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Sounds like she's fine to me...I would be concerned if she wasn't eating....Is there a reason why you want her to rush eating her meals?
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 3:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's better for her to eat slowly. I wouldn't rush her. That will cause bad habits later on. Just let her continue to eat slowly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• because she takes 1-2 HOURS to eat EVERY meal. breakfast- 1 hour, lunch 45 minutes to an hour dinner another hour . this morning it was 2 hours for breakfast. Im really not trying to rush her I just want confirmation that it is normal behavior or how other mothers remedy this. Im not saying I want her done in 10 minutes buy an hour or more for one meal seems excessive. But that is why I asked- to find out if im just being OCD about this. I have OCD and Im a perfectionist. Thanks for the input ladies!
    esthermarie

Answer by esthermarie at 3:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I should add she knows when she is done and is able to tell me verbally when she is full. So i know she is not sitting up there trying to finish every bite unless she wants it.
    esthermarie

Answer by esthermarie at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Set a time limit and stick with it...Like a 1/2 hour, If she does not finish within that time frame..throw the food out..Then do not let her eat agan tell the next meal. She will change her toon when she knows your not going to put up with it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:20 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's not normal for a child to take 1 to 2 hours each meal to finish a meal. Like i sai give her a time limet.

Answer by louise2 at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It is normal for some children to take their time. My son is like that. But, do not set a time limit. That would be awful to do. Only if she is playing, you can remove her from the table. If she truly is eating, then just let her eat at her pace. But, yes, it is normal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'd take that time to clean up. Lol.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 7:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have an 18 month old son as well so using the time for clean up is not always an option lol. He is a good eater though and always finishes before her as well. I have an older daughter who is 6 as well but she lives with her dad. Thanks ladies.
    esthermarie

Answer by esthermarie at 2:35 AM on May. 12, 2009