whining!!! just a phase???

Ok so my son is 18 months old and has been doing this ALL DAY whining and any times he bumps into anything at all, whether its my leg or a blow up ball he fake crys and says ouch but continues to whine - now someone PLEASE tell me this is a phase - I try to ignore it but this weekend I swear both saturday and sunday totalled 4 -5 hour a day of whining - now at some point my patience runs out - distraction doesn't work and I am frustrated! He has no fever, no cold, he "could" be teething but I have thought that since birth.....anyone????

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:05 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it is just a phase. My son did the same thing. I would just kiss the booboo and tell him all better. He will eventually get over it. Dont hold him or mess with him for to long when he does this or he will keep doing it because hes geting the attention that he wants. I just let mine cry it out. eventually he will get the idea.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 3:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Its hard when they are that age. Next time he bumps his leg or something, I used to tell my daughter to shake it off. Wiggle around. Most of the time she started laughing watching me do it and forgot what the problem was. Good luck, My teenager still whines at times. LOL>
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 3:09 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yes....and no. =) Think of whining like labor contractions. Sometimes you'll find your self in a lull, other times you think you might die from all the whining. It goes in waves. This wave shall pass. But it will be followed by another wave at some point most likely. =)
    MamaJAG

Answer by MamaJAG at 3:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Ok. I know exactly how you feel. I just put up the same post a week ago. But here's some comfort...while I was browsing through the questions in the Toddler category, most of them are like ours...they're about whining or temper tantrums, etc. Which means...we are not alone, this is common, most kids go through this stage and I believe our kids will grow out of it when they can start speaking and expressing what is wrong. Whaddya think???
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 3:50 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Oh I hope so!! I have SO much patience normally and hated that I let lose verbally this time - I don't want to be like that but I feel sometimes after a full day of whining I don't know what else to do - I don't want to put him in time outs for whining - i want to use that for bad or naughty behavior but I had to put him in it and walk away or I would have screamed!!!!! it makes me sad - AND SCARED of what is to come..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:07 PM on May. 11, 2009