Do you know anyone who had a child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome after drinking very little during their pregnancy?

Just curious. "They" say very small amounts can cause FAS, but I had about 1 glass of wine a week, and I know plenty of people who drank a drink a day. I know one child with FAS, and the mother was a heavy drinker throughout the pregnancy. So.... do you know anyone who drank very little but still had a child with FAS?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Health

• No, i was told a glass of wine once a MONTH was ok and thats what i did. Every third of the month i would have a small glass of wine, my child came out healthy happy and sweet. But i would NEVER drink more than that.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My ex-DIL drank once in the first nine weeks. Apparently she got hammered. She did not know she was pregnant, or so she says. The granddaughter we have adopted is that child. She does not have FAS but she does have Fetal Alcohol Effected. She has facial dysmorphia. FAE/FAS kids look a lot like precious moments babies. except it isn't that cute. Her eyes ar oddly spaced, flat mid-face (absolutely no nose bridge, and absent filthrum (that is the bow between your upper lip and nose. We are fortunate that she has no heart damage, no obvious brain damage. She has been seen by 16 specialist to rule out any other cause. It has been difinitively diagnosed as FAE>
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• no sorry, the answer they gave me is no one knows the safe amount for pregnancy, i had been doing jello shots and was very drunk the night before i found out i was pregnant, and i had sips of beer and wine but never a glass, although i read somewhere that 1 isn't supposed to be an issue, but my kid is fine she is developing well no bad stuff to speak of
    Ilovefireworks

Answer by Ilovefireworks at 4:11 PM on May. 11, 2009