I NEED HELP. MY SON HITS, HEADBUTTS AND BITES SO MUCH

He is almost 14 months old and he has been doing this since he was 9 months old. I have tried everything. Nothing works. He hits me, he head butts me he bites me. I have been holding his hands and telling him no hit and he laughs thinking its a game. I hold them til he gets mad a cries which takes about 15 seconds. Its just nothing works and its so frusterating when I am persistant and I don't see any results.

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 3:22 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son did that for the the first time at nine months, bite and hit. he bit me once, i gave him a good pop on his mouth and he's never done it again. he hit, i popped his hand, and he thinks twice before he goes to hit. as for the headbutting, that's a him and daddy thing, they do it together all time time,(just playfully of course) but he's never done it with me or other kids.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I've tried spanking (that didn't work so I don't do it anymore) I've smacked his hands (that doesn't work) and daddy is the one that started the head butting thing but he head butts everyone.. it's so irritating cause he really hurts me smetimes. I also do time outs. I hold him in time out for one minute. That doesn't help either.

Like he just took his toy and hit me in the ear with it and about made me cry it hurt so bad.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Spank his legs and tell him "no." Be consistent. Do it every time, and the child will stop. I have an eleven month old grandson who already knows to respect the authority of his parents and grandparents when they tell him "no."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:29 PM on May. 11, 2009

• yep, nannyB is right. spank right underneath his butt, kinda on the thigh. it's more effective than the butt, especially if he's wearing a diaper/pullup. do more than one pop if you have too. and be consistant about it. you can't just keep changing the punishment around, time out once then a spank another. i say you spank then do a time out, but that's 'just IMO
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't suggest holding him down as punishment - that makes kids freak out worse sometimes. Follow the nanny 911 steps - just keep putting him in time out no matter if it takes 150 times of re-placing him in the time out area - he WILL get it - or you can take toys away and he can EARN them back with good behavior - everytime he gets up from time out -a toy goes - sit him in time out 1 minute for every year old he is, when he finally sits there without a problem for the 1 or 2 minutes, then explain why he's in there ( if you can even remember by this point " make him say sorry and just be consistant!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:39 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well I'll do the same punishment for a few weeks at a time. It's not like I change it every day. But maybe thats what I'll do is his legs instead of his butt.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:40 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Try ignoring him when he does this. Tell him in no uncertain terms that hitting, biting, etc is wrong then totally ignore him. Leave the room if he comes after you again (just make sure you can seem him and he can't get hurt). Hitting, etc are all attention getting mechanisms. No attention (either positive or negative), it isn't worth it. Be consistent. Personally, I think that hitting/biting back sends the wrong message and will make it harder to break the habit. It took me a few weeks of ignoring him to get the message across but he stopped. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• all of the above...and consistantly. I have 5 kids and different things worked for ....different kids, but consistancy is the key. Mine, believe it or not, never hit, bit, or head-butted me, but they did do things to their siblings. And consistant discipline put a stop to it quickly.
    Teejay602

Answer by Teejay602 at 5:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• seems like an insecure attachment
    do you and your child have a routine when you leave and return home?
    is your child with the same caregiver?
    maybe your child is not getting enough of your time and needs more attention from you
    Anonymous