Road trip with toddler/baby?

I will be taking my DD to Idaho , and then through Seattle to the west coast of WA from CO. We will stay in Idaho with family for a few days, and then go on to Seattle for a day or two, and then to the coast.
My DD is newly walking for a couple months now, and talking, but not talking so much that you can talk to her and rationalize anything to her. She knows basic nouns. So saying "hold on, we'll be to the rest stop in 20 minutes" won't work.
I have a friend coming to sit in the back and keep her company, but DD's never been restrained for that long, and I need tips on what to do to keep her as comfy and happy as possible!!
I will take a BUNCH of breaks, and am packing a bunch of toys.
In your experience, what is something you wished you had done, or found best to do?
Any other advice for me at all?
I just want her to be as happy as possible!
Thanks!

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 3:23 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make all kinds of coloring stations and such that strap onto carseats; it makes it a little easier for baby to play while in the car. When I have to travel with my Dd on long trips, I always try to plan it around her sleeping schedule. We don't leave first thing in the morning; we leave right before nap time. I make sure I've got covers for the windows so it'll be darker and easier for her to nap. We stop when she wakes up to eat and play. Use up all her excess energy while you're stopped. In the car I have snacks, music, toys, etc. - anything to occupy her time. Having someone with you will be a HUGE help! Just remember that you're traveling with someone who doesn't have any concept of time, travel or the likewise. My best advice is to not stress; if you start the trip stressed so will your Dd - just take your time and enjoy the trip!
    GOOD LUCK
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 3:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• New EXCITING toys!!! Other than that I'm not sure. We have driven from Indiana to Oklahoma, and from Indiana to South Carolina. My son doesn't sleep in the car for some reason, but he does good with a DVD and some toys.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 3:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Timing is critical. We found that leaving a couple of hrs before normal lunch/naptime, then stopping to stretch/eat, back into the car for a nap, then go as far as we can before a break. With that we can usually make a 6 or 7 hr drive without a lot of pain. We haven't tried to go farther than that just yet (we're on the east coast) We try to go as far as we can between breaks because we had more trouble getting him back into his carseat than we did keeping him in his carseat! A head support for napping is also helpful. lastly, try not to respond to every protest. You may find that some pass on their own when ignored. Good luck and try not to stress!
    Anonymous