Road Trip with baby/toddler advice?

I will be driving with my DD to Idaho , and then through Seattle to the west coast of WA from CO. We will stay in Idaho with family for a few days, and then go on to Seattle for a day or two, and then to the coast.
My DD is newly walking for a couple months now, and talking, but not talking so much that you can talk to her and rationalize anything to her. She knows basic nouns. So saying "hold on, we'll be to the rest stop in 20 minutes" won't work.
I have a friend coming to sit in the back and keep her company, but DD's never been restrained for that long, and I need tips on what to do to keep her as comfy and happy as possible!!
I will take a BUNCH of breaks, and am packing a bunch of toys.
In your experience, what is something you wished you had done, or found best to do?
Any other advice for me at all?
I just want her to be as happy as possible!
Thanks!

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 3:24 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ps., bring a cooler filled with ice, refill at gas stations or grocery stores. Store with gogurt yogurts, snacks like mozerella/string cheese, sandwiches, juice, water and so on for the trip. Lots of snacks!!!

My DD is grown now and well behaved, so it was easy (plus she is a sleepy kid). but my toddler son now, I haven't tried the trip with him, I think he may be more restless and I'd have to stop and let him play at McDonald's 2x a day at least!
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:57 PM on May. 11, 2009

• We went to Florida, from Michigan, for spring break this year. We loaded up a 6 year old, 4 y/o, 3 y/o, and 7 month old and drove down there. Amazingly, it wasn't nearly as bad as what we expected. The kids were surprisingly good. Some things that worked for us included new DVD's to watch on the way down. I unwrapped the packaging and then wrapped the DVD's up like presents for them to open. They enjoyed opening them and then watching them. Kept them busy! We also took magnetic boards with magnets. The girls had princesses, my son had spider man. (Hobby Lobby) Lots of snacks! The kids also had cups with their names on them that were spill proof. Stickers were a huge hit too--those were plastered all over construction paper. Good luck!
    purplemoosemom

Answer by purplemoosemom at 3:38 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have travelled from SEATTLE area, where I live to Boulder, Colorado with a little one...so I know...in a SUV twice!

So good things; bring games, colorbooks, coloring crayongs or stuff to do for their age level. One of the best inventions is the portable DVD player, get one that can hook into the cigarette light or/and plugs into the wall when you get to a hotel to power up. Bring a lot of dvd's!

Take lots of "stops" whether it be hourly or every hour and half or two...stretch at rest stops, go for a small walk, get water. Go to McDonald's let her play a bit (there are mcDonald's the entire way), let her get an ice cream for "being good".

Try traveling say 6 am to 2pm or something early. Then stop for the rest of the day to enjoy the town you're in, get a motel room with a pool and go swimming in the afternoon/evening. This is what I would do with my child, mom and step dad who all came along...
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• CONTIN'D in Boise, we went to an Arcade place in the evening and got pizza for dinner. We would go swimming in the motel pools...we stopped at mcd's for salads during the day (let child play for half an hour to get play time). You can always stop at a nearby park, too, or rest stops are great for stretching, picture taking and walking.

Road trips can be fun!

If you go really early like 5 am to 2 pm or so, chances are, she will sleep in until 8 or 9 am so half the time you drive!
    bablondie

Answer by bablondie at 3:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have been on many long trips with my 2 boys, ages 4 and almost 2. We live in Maine and my husband's family is in Ohio so we drive back and forth once or twice a year. The best investment I ever made was a portable TV. That helps a lot. I also sit in the back of the van with my boys so I can read books to them and hand out snacks and drinks as needed. Another thing I do is, I go to the store and buy a few new toys to hand out through out the ride. Nothing to big just small things that will entertain the boys for as long as possible. Good luck and have a great trip!

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 4:47 PM on May. 11, 2009