Road trip with baby/toddler advice?

I will be driving with my DD to Idaho , and then through Seattle to the west coast of WA from CO. We will stay in Idaho with family for a few days, and then go on to Seattle for a day or two, and then to the coast.
My DD is newly walking for a couple months now, and talking, but not talking so much that you can talk to her and rationalize anything to her. She knows basic nouns. So saying "hold on, we'll be to the rest stop in 20 minutes" won't work.
I have a friend coming to sit in the back and keep her company, but DD's never been restrained for that long, and I need tips on what to do to keep her as comfy and happy as possible!!
I will take a BUNCH of breaks, and am packing a bunch of toys.
In your experience, what is something you wished you had done, or found best to do?
Any other advice for me at all?
I just want her to be as happy as possible!
Thanks!

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 3:25 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Travel

• We drove from Oregon to Texas in January when my daughter was 18 months. It took a long time and she did get frustrated.

Things that helped us were....

Making frequent stops so she could run around

Portable DVD player was a life saver...no joke.

Toys/books/coloring stuff(we got a little tray that goes over her lap so she could draw)

Me sitting in the back with her at times helped her a lot

Stopping at night (if you are taking your time)when it was her bedtime so she could have her normal night time routine! Keeping something the same helped her out a lot!

I recommend bringing some favorite things and some fun new things to surprise her when you are on the road!

Good luck with your trip and have fun!
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 3:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Before you leave keep her awake!!! she will probably nap for a while. even if she wakes up and cries usually when they are bored and unable to move they will fall asleep. if she is asleep and you dont have to stop...DONT. just keep going. when she is up and need to get out to run around let her do that. try to get her active when you are out of the car. she will be fine, you will too!!! have a safe trip!
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 3:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• lots of snacks, lots of stops- 20 minutes at a time so she can run around and play...
    talk to her alot....
    be happy you dont have to sit in an airport! lol
    ida rather drove on my trip than go to the airport... takes longer but its really hard keeping a kid entertained on a plane, or in the airport with a bunch of carry ons.... lol
    just have fun... play fun music.... try games nd stuff... like have her point out cars and trucks and colors.....
    well good luck!
    be safe and have a good trip!!
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 3:50 PM on May. 11, 2009

• check out the daily buzz summer travel link on the bar on top! LOTS of traveling with toddler advice!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:40 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My ex husband lives 6 hours away by car. Before we were divorced I moved back home with my son to help ease financial stress we were under but we traveled back and forth a lot, from the time our son was about 2½ up until now that he's almost 5. The biggest life saver during those trips has been a portable dvd player and a holder that straps on the back of the front seat. He will happily watch Thomas The Tank Engine, Toy Story or one of the dozen or so dvd's I bring with us. I also make sure to take more frequent stops!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:44 PM on May. 12, 2009