Women not allowed to wear pants?

I have seen some groups of women and girls out when I am running errands, and they are always dressed in long jean or knaki skirts.
I am guessing this is a religious issue, so I am wondering if anyone practices that, and if so why? Does your religion forbid women to wear anything but long skirts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up in an apostolic background. To this day I still attend an apostolic church. They are big on skirt wearing. I feel like this people say skirts are made for women and pants for men. That does not make sense because in the bible days there were no pants an men wore robes that were basically long dresses. Women that wear pants are not displeasing to God at all. If you wear pants in a respectful manner not extra tight or anything like that there is nothing wrong. Pants are MADE for women. And also if you have hips and butt or a shape its going to show in anything you wear. I go by what the holyghost says if Im not convicted in my pants then so be it....
    NewMom716

Answer by NewMom716 at 3:54 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Mine does not and I know women who wear skirts/dresses simply because they prefer it that way.

I do know Pentecostals only do skirts and no jewelry except wedding band,etc. At least they were when I was talking with them a few years ago.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:30 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think they are Menonites. Do they also have their hair in a covered bun? If so, I'm pretty sure that's the belief they follow --- I've seen a few similar families at local stores here, too.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• That is sooo stupid. I mean how can you be for something that dictates to you how to dress.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 3:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• IzzeAddy, many religions dictate dress, and people still choose to follow them - in fact, they LIKE to follow the rules about dress and food and all.
    I know Muslim women who speak of how the hijab makes them feel empowered, so we can't just jump to the conclusion that these people are being forced to adhere to rules they don't agree with.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• There are different religions that do that, and several of them around here, so you can't always guess. Menonites and some Pentecostals, also some Bible Churches that don't claim denominations but do claim a lot of rules. One of the Pentecostals around here, the women do not wear pants and they cannot cut their hair. Some of the Menonites, but not all, are less strict. I have some extended family down south that's of the super strict Pentecostal variety. They told my mom and aunts they were going to hell when they were kids because they wore shorts.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• there is a family in my moms neighborhood that wears skirts and they have long hair. they also have 9 kids lol. i think they are pentecostal or orthodox i dont remember but i know that my moms friend asked them before lol
    Anonymous

• Where we live, there is a Pentecostal campground, district office,and college. I do know around here, it's them that dress that way. Most are very nice people,and are just as entitled to their beliefs as anyone. Just because we may not totally understand why they do it, doesn't make it any less important to them.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• FLDS also wear long dresses. Hair in french braids.

No offence, this is my opinion.

I think it stupid.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I like skirts better than pants myself. It's not a religious thing for me, just a comfort thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:52 PM on May. 11, 2009