Need help, trying to potty train!

Ok so my son is going to be 2 in august. My husband and I decided to start potty training him but are having some trouble. This is are first child so we don't really know where to start. He has showed interest in using the potty, but only when he feels like it. Like sometimes he'll tell me mom potty and he'll go but other times he'll just go in his diaper or pull ups, but after he goes in his diper he'll tell me he peed. I just don't know how to progress and get him to go in the toilet all the time.

moniluvsmarcus

Asked by moniluvsmarcus at 3:29 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, ditch the pullups. Either stick with diapers until he understands or go straight to undies. Pullups are just expensive diapers for most kids. They are handy for long outings with no certain bathrooms but not for everyday.

Second, take him to the potty regularly. Do not wait for him to tell you he has to go. Given the choice of playing with his cars or sitting on the potty, which do you think he will choose? Yep, cars. So he will keep quiet and hope the feeling goes away until it's too late. Or he will answer "NO" when you ask since that's what he wishes were true. Tell him it's time to go. Don't expect him to stop playing to go pee for a LONG time. Accidents by "busy" kids are common up to age 6.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Waayy too early. Wait till he is really ready by letting you know when he has peed, pooped, taking the diaper off, bring you a diaper to change him and staying dry through the night.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I should have added that. He does take his diper off when he's peed or pooped in it.
    moniluvsmarcus

Answer by moniluvsmarcus at 3:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If your husband is on board then you've got a great asset for potty training a little boy.... my son's father wasn't around when he potty trained so my uncle took over..... he literally took him to the bathroom with him and they went pee-pee in the potty together...... of course my uncle also taught him how to pee off the porch - which my son thought was the grandest thing in the world... a little embarrassing to me, but it worked like a charm.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:35 PM on May. 11, 2009