i know no one on here is a doc but i really need advice? *UPDATE

So i took my peanut to the doc and her eyes,ears and nose look fine. They swabbed her vagina (thats where all the redness was) and the throat for strep. Both came back neg so the doc said to treat it like a really bad diaper rash but if her stools look mucousy at all or she repeats the pattern like last night where she screams inconsolably and then is fine after farting or pooping then she needs to go to the er because it may be a digestive infection? Thanks for all of your advice but im curious if anyone on here has experienced the same type of situation with your LO

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 3:46 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It definitely sounds like she may just be constipated! on the other hand about the diaper rash you might try bordeaux's butt paste. That kind gave my youngest son even worse diaper rash and really seemed to hurt him when I put it on. The only kind that I have found works on him (even desitin hurt him) was a homemade kind where you use equal parts of hydrocortizone 1% and bacitracin. If your baby gets a yeast infection just use equal parts of hydrocortizone 1% bacitracin and monistat. That totally got rid of my son's yeast infection and once it was over I just took out the monistat and it totally still works :-) Hope everything works out! :-)
    jamesnkevsmommy

Answer by jamesnkevsmommy at 4:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• (Not able to answer your question, but I wanted to thank you for the followup and hope that your LO feels much better soon.)

Answer by Bmat at 3:49 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yup! They did an x-ray of her stomach. And she had HUGE poops in there that were backing up her stools. They had to put their finger in there to get it out.
    Poor baby!

Good luck!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• sorry i dont know i would say food allergy but good luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:57 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Take her back to the doctor if you do not agree... If she is having mucusy bms I doubt she is constipated. Did they test her stool for a virus? I would suggest asking your ped. about it do not settle until you are happy with the diagnosis, I never would.

ERV2009

Answer by ERV2009 at 4:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I know wat your going through my baby had a smiler problem in fact it almost sound dead on the same...Her stool would be hard and really acidic witch made her have a terrible rash on her vag area...this might sound strange but they told me to get this frozen lactobacsillious and insert into her li butt and it worked wonders maybe you should talk 2 the doctor about that ......good luck
    SweetSophieRose

Answer by SweetSophieRose at 5:00 PM on May. 11, 2009

• mucousy poops can be caused by a milk allergy, is she Bfing or on formula...constipation is also caused by allergies
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:00 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Sounds like allergies to me too. DD was allergic to milk and soy. If you are BFing then just eliminate these from you diet. If not, then you should buy hypoallergenic formula.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:49 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Sounds like a food intolerance. If she's formula fed you might want to try a hypoallergenic formula such as elacare, neocate or something else similar. If she's breastfed, try eliminating common allergens from your diet. If she's recently started any solids, STOP THEM until the symptoms go away. The redness of her vagina makes me think yeast? Yeast can cause other digestive symptoms such as the ones you mentioned, and yeast infections are common in babies with food sensitivities. Or it could even be a yeast infection all on its own, based on the symptoms you mentioned. Infant probiotics are great for helping little ones fight off yeast or even just deal with digestive issues. Make sure you're giving a hypoallergenic one formulated for infants.

Did they have any other reason to suspect an infection? Has she had infections before? Does she have a fever?
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Re: your update- yes, I experienced similar symptoms (bad diaper rash, mucousy stools and screaming before farting and pooping. Two or three times in the first year of my son's life. And it was all food-related sensitivities, which is why I mentioned it. :) Probiotics and making slight changes to his (or my) diet cleared it up for him every time.

The symptoms are actually pretty common and doctors usually say that it's a dietary reaction which was what made me wonder if there were other symptoms that you hadn't mentioned.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 8:35 PM on May. 11, 2009