• In the Spotlight:

Weights / reps question.......

If I am trying to tone up my butt and thighs how many reps should I do on the weight machines?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Everything I have ever come across always says to do 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps per exercise. There are several methods you can use to vary that. For instance, for awhile I was doing 5 sets per exercise. The reps would go 15, 12, 10, 8 and 6 and I would start with a lighter weight and by the time I hit the last set with 6 reps, I would be at the heaviest weight barely getting through it. But if you are just starting out go with the tried and true and then you will definitely want to change it up after a month or so. A person's muscles get "used" to the exercise and then the plateau will hit. Also, always make the weight count, don't use light weights where you aren't feeling any resistance. You want to feel the "burn" otherwise you aren't doing anything. Hope that helps, good luck. Oh and check out my group if you would like. Healthy Living 2009

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Use light weights and do 3 sets of 12-15 reps. You don't need to feel the burn when you're only aiming for a good tone. Don't go to the point of exhaustion.

Heavier weights and slower reps make for building more muscle and losing weight more efficiently.
    Anonymous

• If you don't feel the "burn" then your not working hard enough. And when I say feel the "burn", I don't mean crippling over in exhaustion, but enough weight that you can actually feel that you are working the muscles. Everyone is different, you will have to decide for yourself what is considered heavy versus light weights. BTW walking lunges are an amazing workout for butt and thighs.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:21 PM on May. 11, 2009