Should I put her back in a diaper?

My two year old started using the potty consistantly a week ago. She was doing great for a few days without any diapers. Even when we went out she was fine. Over the weeked she had two accidents, I wasn't concerned, I knew it wouldn't be easy. Today she woke up and went pee later she said she needed to poop and ran to the potty, and did not poop and then went and got a diaper and said I need a diaper. I put it on her and she peed in it. Later I talked her out of wearing a diaper and she used the potty a few more times. Then all of a sudden she wanted to wear a diaper again. I am not sure what I should do. Do I let her wear a diaper or not?

Note: She started going on the potty all the time on her own. I gave up a long time ago on trianing her.

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 3:58 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can deal with it, I say don't put her back in a diaper. She will probably fight it, but it sounds like the novelty is wearing off and she realizes it is easier to just keep going in the diaper. Hide the diapers or get them out of the house and tell her they are gone! If you can put up with her 'attitude' stick with it!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:02 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If I were you, I'd make an agreement with her. She can wear the diaper (or pull-up) at night or during nap time, but during the day she has to wear her big-girl underwear. If she still is persistent about the diaper, then that will be your choice. Just be careful about flip-flopping back and forth between the two choices. It will only get more confusing for her as it goes on!
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 4:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• then that is your problem there don't give up and when she asks for a diaper don't put one on her. if you keep going back and forth to diapers and unides that is going to confuse her. i would stick to the potty training i wouldn't stop now or it is going to be harder try being more consistant and not give in so much when she askes to have a diaper tell her she is a big girl and big girls go on the potty
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You can give her the diaper but tell her she has to wear it over her panties. That way she still feels the accidents instead of the diaper absorbing all the pee pee. She probably won't want it any more.
    Anonymous

• Don't go back.
    BUT - are you waiting for her to go to the potty on her own or to ask you for help? Don't. Make sure she pees every 2 hours. Keep track for her. If it's been 2 hours or she is doing the "I've got to go" dance, then TELL her she MUST go try. If she pees, reset your mental timer for 2 hours. If she doesn't, make her try again every half hour until she goes.

Remember - putting down her toys or walking away from the TV is hard to do. Especially if it's to go sit in the boring bathroom. She will not want to and she will keep playing until it is too late. "I forgot" or "I was busy" accidents are common up to 6 years of age. It is your job to help her remember. For now, that means telling her to go. 6 months to a year from now you can switch to reminding her to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Do NOT under any circumstances give in and give her a diaper, it is the easy way out for her and if you do this she will always be dependent on the convience of the diaper.... I would simply explain that she has now made the transition in to being a big girl and the diapers need to be reserved for babies... I had this situation arise with my now 2nd child and I gave in to him wanting the diaper again BIG mistake, took forever to get him trained afterwards...
    VMac

Answer by VMac at 6:07 PM on May. 11, 2009