Will this be too much of a shock for her?

We're going to be moving at the end of this month and I'm wanting to transition my 20 month old from a crib to a twin-bed with rails. Do you think I should go ahead and have the "new" bed for her in the "new" house or will that just be transition overload? I want her to be comfortable moving into the new house, but I don't want to have to battle with her transitioning from the crib to the bed. She is capable of sleeping in a big bed with me without rails on her side and she's never fallen off, so I know she likes the big bed and can do it (I'm still going with rails just to be on the safe side). Do you think I should just make one big switch or do it in small steps? What has worked best for you?

mommaruth07

Asked by mommaruth07 at 4:00 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• since you are moving at the same time, could you maybe put both beds in the room for her? that way she still has to option to sleep in the crib since its recognizable for her in a strange room. but she can still get used to the other bed, and possibly do nap time in the bigger bed til she gets used to it. for my daughter we had a whole special day, she went to get new bedding and picked it out than we went to lunch then we came home and took apart the crib and set up the toddler bed with her big girl bedding (and i had a surprise new stuffed elmo b/c she picked elmo bedding) and she loved it and had no issues, but we weren't making any other major changes at the time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• ONe big step worked for my when my daughter was 13 months old!! Its beeter to get them used to it all at once in my opinion! Then once she is used to it, Your home free! Good luck
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 4:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• How does she handle changes already? My firstborn has always loved a schedule and things in there place. He doesn't like getting new furniture. We have to talk about stuff beforehand so it is an easier adjustment for him. I would get the bed for him before we moved. However my second son goes with the flow! Lol! It would be easier on me to just do both changes at one time with him. So, I guess what I am saying is you know your daughter best. If you are concerned it may be too much, then switch the bed now!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'd go with what vabchmommy said above
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 4:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think this is very much dependent on her personality. If she's the type that typically rolls with change, I'd make both transitions at once and be done with it. If she likes routine and consistency, I'd hold off on the bed until she's used to the new house. I know there are others out there that disagree but I think 20 months is young to move to a bed unless the child is climbing out of the crib.. Just my opinion..
    Anonymous

• The child is definitely the key in this question. My sister moved when her daughter was almost two. They did not set the crib up, but went directly to the bed with rails. She had a horrible time with the transition and finally one day just sat in the middle of the living room crying and saying she wanted her old house and her old bed back! So, definitely judge by how well your child adjusts to change.
    CharleneTroll

Answer by CharleneTroll at 4:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My opinion, everyone worries too much about "transitions" instead of just doing what needs to be done.

You know your daughter and you know what kind and how many changes she can handle at one time. You have to decide.
    Anonymous