What are morals?

To me to have morals means not doing things that you wouldn't want done to you. It's immoral to steal, to kill, to rape... Sex isn't immoral to me. I don't understand why it has become so in the public eye? Sex is fun, it feels good... It's not something (accept in the case of rape) that is generally harmful. Therefore it's not immoral...
And who decides what is moral or immoral?

So, what are morals to you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that sex is immoral if you take it for granted. Which I did for many years. I think that if you are out there hoeing around then that is immoral.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Some people think morals are learned (some even think you can't have them without finding them in a book).....I don't. Animals have morals, so how could they be learned? Some are, yes, but the basic ones are instinct. Look at how a wolf pack operates, for example. Everyone in the pack takes care of the pups of the alpha pair without having to be forced to. They use teamwork, they look out for each other, etc etc. No one tells them to do these things, obviously. I think it's the same with humans. Yes, there are humans who do not have these morals, but, just like in a wolf pack, they will be shunned by society.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:09 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Humans do not have instinct, we are taught, it doesn't come naturally like in animals.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:10 PM on May. 11, 2009

• As for sex, I don't think it's immoral at all except for extreme situations like a mother getting pregnant over and over and getting abortions instead of just using a freaking condom! LOL And situations where you promised a partner you would be true to them and you are lying.....but that fits better under the "don't lie" category than "don't have sex".

"Hoing around" (LOL), same sex couples, bisexuals, swingers, sex outside marriage, whatever......if it really makes you happy then I don't see a problem with it. I think the issue with it being immoral is when it causes OTHER immoral behavior, like lying, spreading STD's, and getting pregnant out of pure carelessness. The OTHER immoral behavior can be avoided with common sense, so I don't see the point in outlawing all sex besides married sex.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:16 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry Ann, we do have instinct. We are animals. You seem to be implying we're dumber than other animals LOL.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Humans are animals... We do have instincts. Mothers instictively love, and care for children, even when the kids aren't theirs... We know it's wrong to kill or hurt someone regardless of what we are taught... That's instinct...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Morals are codes to live by. It is code of conduct. We can each decide our own morals, thank god we're entitled to our own opinions.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't believe humans are animals (since we got on the subject) the difference between humans and animals, is WILL POWER. Animals have no will power, that is a HUGE. An Ape might kill anothers baby because they feel threatened, but that is ok. It's normal in the animal kingdom, it is their instinct (which we have too, but we can control ours for the most part) we don't look down on apes because of it because they are well...APES. It's normal for them to behave like apes. A human has a choice, they have will power an can make a logical decision for the actions we make. A human who kills a baby out of threat is not normal, like it is for an animal. You can't compare humans to animals. We have free will, & can control everything in our lives. Animals cannot do that at all.

We do have instinct though. Just not like an animal does.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• i guess when i think of animals i think of animal behavior. I DO believe in the whole scheme of things, we are part of the animal kingdom. But, i don't like comparing wild animals to humans.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:39 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with you OP..

IMO sex is fine too.. as long as it's not harmful to yourself, or others.. ex.. rape, having sex without informing a partner of an STD, doing so in a public place where children could see, with someone that is willing and of an appropriate age..

otherwise... go at it, like rabbits.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:41 PM on May. 11, 2009