clean smelling house

hey, so my house is clean, I have wiped everything with lysol and febreezed and everything but it still doesn't smell "clean" I love the smell of the lysol but it doesn't hang around long enough, I have tried those plug in things and they don't fill a house with good smell either, just a small area.

we do have one of those time delayed sprays and that works ok, but I have stopped noticing it

what do you ladies do to make your house smell super clean and pretty?

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 4:11 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Call me crazy, but a clean house shouldn't smell; this is just marketing from companies that sell really nasty, toxic cleaners (google the ingredients in Lysol and Febreeze). I use a non-toxic, homemade, really cheap cleaner that doesn't smell after it is dried.

1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• oh yeah, my cleaning frenzy ended at 10:30 this morning, and it is now 4:00, I have left the house once for about an hour and hope when I walked back in the good smell would hit me but it didn't

the best smelling thing in my house is my dog right now because i just bathed him...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Candles! I go to the Dollar Tree and get the ones in glass. They are bigger than a votive, but not real big. I always have on in my kitchen, two in my living room, and I have a votive candle hold that holds three on my dinning room table. It's not a "clean" smell, but it makes the house smell good and feel clean. I love lighting them when I get done cleaning. It's so relaxing too!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I pour a little pine-sol or fabuloso into the toilets. The whole house smells good. Just a smidgen works. As long as it sits.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Your nose probably got used to the scent. I know after I mop, I dont smell it after about 1/2 hr but when DH or kids walk in they can smell it and comment on it. . I totaly get used to smelling the plug-ins. But visitors comment on them. I use the febreeze odor removers on the soft surfaces...couch and curtains.Pine sol in the toilets work..untill you flush them You could also try the air fresheners that you spray in the air.
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 4:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• The reality is clean doesn't have a smell....you can mask odors with scented items or use sprays with chemicals in them to "remove odors" but I don't think putting a thin coat of chemicals in your air, furniture, clothes, floors, walls is "clean" I don't use any of those products and I use all natural cleaners I make
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:50 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yankee candles! They make the whole house smell good.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I pour bleach down all my drains. I lingers for a while. I also light candles.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:56 PM on May. 16, 2009