Why do we need to read the Bible?

Doesn't the government basically make rules that are found in the Bible? So if we follow the law, we should already know what the Bible wants us to do, right? So why waste time on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God's word is food to the spirit... without it our spirit cannot flourish in Him. It helps us grow and become whom He has called us to be. It helps us keep sin at bay and it helps us in battle with the enemy. The Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. Satan hates the Living Word .
    The Word is the Bread of Life and the Wine of the Spirit. Be filled with the Spirit and His Word and you walk in power and might over the enemy. The Word is also Father's Love letter to us with instructions on how to live a righteous life in Him. It also contains rules to live by, what to do and not to do. Without it we are cast into the wind going to and fro without a foundation to stand in. Christians who do not stay in the Word... many fall away ( not all) because their spirit is starving .. just like we need to feed our bodies we need to feed our spirit.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well, we have free will. And our government recognizes that. We have the freedom to choose to be gay, there is no law against that. But, the bible says otherwise. Following the laws can be VERY different from following the bible.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have never considered reading God's written word a waste of time. In fact,that is how I start every single morning. My day's not complete till I spend time reading God's word. For me, I read the Bible because it is the guide God gave me to live my life by. It comforts me when I need it to, it educates me like no other book on this planet can or does, it gives me the answer to any question I could ever possibly have about anything. It admonishes me when I need it, and it shows me a God who loves me enough to send His son to die for me,and a son who loves His Father enough,and the world enough to come and die the most horrendous death in the history of the world, to save this world. I cannot imagine NOT reading the Bible, this is the 5th straight time I've read it cover to cover,and each time I find new things I didn't before. I know that's God giving me what I need, when I need it the most.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I dunno... Entertainment? I mean isn't that why people read myths or fables in general? I've read it 8 times - cover to cover- It says the same things as every other fable and or myth does... Just this one people see as sacred...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Uh, I do (and am ok with) lots of things the bible doesn't agree with......so no, not really. Free speech, for example, entitles us to using blasphemy in our speech....the bible frowns on this.

What's the point of the question?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• stvmen88 - i like ur answer so i'll just say ditto. Definitely not a waste of time.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Whatcha mean, what's the point? I want to know why people bother to swim through all the confusion in the Bible when our laws are based on the 10 commandments. Isn't the Bible supposed to be God's laws?
    Anonymous

• There is so much more to God's word than just laws. There are stories of people,showing us what faith in God can do for us.Showing us that God always keeps His promises, and proving that the enemy has already lost the war. It provides us thoughts for living, and how to treat others, it gives us Jesus' life story. It tells us about the beginnings of our world,and how God created everything and everyone. Probably the most fascinating, incredible book I've ever read,and I never get tired of it, or bored with it in any way.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• stvmen88, how do you find comfort in the Bible?
    Aren't we supposed to go to the Bible to learn the laws of God?
    I'm not too familiar with it, but trying to read it, I just get befuddled. Why not just obey the 1o commandments, something that's pretty easy to remember and just put the bible on a shelf?
    Anonymous

• iagree with stvmen88
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:39 PM on May. 11, 2009