HELP,my 2 yr old is terrible to our new puppy

We just got a small dog she is 8 weeks old and my 2 yr old is just rotten to her, he hits,kicks,drops and bites her. I've tried everything to get him to stop but he just keeps it up. This is his first pet, and the other kids do not treat her that way. Is it a control issue, maybe bec she is smaller than him. AT MY WITS END.

Iryshmom

Asked by Iryshmom at 4:25 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seriously, I'd consider returning the dog. If he cannot learn to be kind, why bother? Plus it's totally unfair to the dog. Might turn a nice pet into a mean, frightened, biting dog that ends up being put to sleep. That or spank your child when he's unkind or mean. Maybe he's too young.
    Anonymous

• he's to young. my 2yr old.. trys to throw his aunts Kitties all the time. when we go to there house
    Anonymous

• Just hold the puppy and reinforce to be gentle be nice... PET the puppy, dont hit the puppy...
    i have a 2 year old son and we just got a puppy too... its a chihuahua mini pincher mix... shes tiny... only 10 weeks old now... and he likes to carry her around by her neck and her tail..... we put him in time out and reinforce its not okay..... weve had the puppy for about 3 weeks and hes slowly gettingbetter....
    just have to reinforce to be gentle... be nice.... play nicely.....
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 4:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• if anything the puppy should learn to be more tolerable... should be able to handle just about anything when she gets older.... i dont think it will make her mean...
    our puppy is funny though... she will growl and bark (which is funny in itself cause shes sooo tiny!) but my son will growl and bark back at her and they play back and forth like that....
    its gonna take time but it will get better....
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 4:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• thank you to all who replied! I;m going to give it some time it has only been 2 weeks, and i know teaching children takes time.
    Iryshmom

Answer by Iryshmom at 4:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Your son is abusive to the dog. Let's call it what it is. Your son isn't cruel, he's still learning. You can't allow it, and you need to keep them separated at all times until he learns more self control. He's two, so that might be a while. I'd say you shouldn't have gotten a puppy right now, but since you already have him, show him how to gently pet the dog. Let him carry the dog's food to his dish. Let him help you brush the dog.
    Anonymous

• We got a puppy two months ago , a black lab and my son isn't gonna be 2 till the end of June. He wanted to spank her and tell her no like we did, but we would keep saying, no don't hit just pet and love her. Give her hugs and kisses. He finally caught on. Keep trying. Put puppy in crate for training and when out watch kids closely. It takes awhile for this to work , so be willing to work because a dog to us is family.
    mommom7

Answer by mommom7 at 7:49 AM on May. 15, 2009