My heart is breaking

We are being transferred overseas to Bahrain where the average temperature during the summer is 120 or more and we wanted to take our Saint Bernard because the thought of giving him up is breaking my heart. I have checked with all the airlines and they either charge such an outrageous amount that I can't afford and they are telling me that there is a good chance my dog will die. Since I would rather give him to another family then take the chance of him dieing I have put him up for adoption. Now i am getting email after email on what a rotten person I am and how dare i give him up, I don't know what to do.I am looking into pet shipping services but I'm torn, I am so scared that by the time he gets to us he will have died from heat stroke and if that happens i will never forgive myself. I need some advise I don't know what to do.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 4:41 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pets

• First of all I think you are brave to be thinking of your pet first and not yourself or your friends...
    That takes a ton of courage...

Check with the local pet agencys to see if they know of a st. b rescue close by...or go on line...

It would be worse to take your pet and have it die of the heat... we lost a pet to heat and it's horrid...

Could someone foster your pet for a few years??? With your help to offer maintaince?? Look into other options and see if any would work for you...

Good Luck... Keep us posted
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 7:56 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Can your vet recommend a pet shipping service? I am sure they offer some that include air conditioning. You have to do what is best for your family and your dog.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You have to put your family before a pet. so you have to move and sometimes you have to give up a pet. I can't imagine giving my dog up either, but if it is going to cause huge finacial strain or be a risk to the dog I agree that you have to look into adoption. Have you had any offers for someone to take the dog? Can you post signs at the vets office that he is up for adoption? Get there and get settled in. Maybe the family that adopts will send pictures to the kids to show how happy he is in his new home.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:48 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I am so sorry to hear that!!!! I know exactly what is like to give up a pet because of the military. Is there anyway maybe a family member can watch him for a little while. Give you some time to save up some money and maybe wait until a cooler time of the year to ship him. Those pet shipping people are ridiclously expensive. I had to give up my boxer due to change in duty station, it was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do. You tell those a**holes to leave you alone this isn't your choice!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 4:56 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wish I had someone to leave him with but I don't have anyone that would be able to take care of him. As much as I don't want to I think adoption is going to be my only option.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• We had to do the same thing when we got unexpected orders to Hawaii. The cost to fly him, plus the health cert. PLUS 4 months of quarantine was just more than we could do. We found another military family on the base who took him. In Hawaii we adopted a dog born on the island who had been adopted by 4 different military families in a row. She couldn't get a health cert to leave the island due to heart worms. She was a terrific dog and it helped ease missing Mr. Baily (our lab) a lot.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:38 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm so sorry you have to do this. I can't imagine having to give up my dogs, but sometimes it's the only option people have. Can you contact Saint Bernard rescue and tell them your situation? I would think rescue would take him in and find him a good home without making you feel bad. Plus, at least with Whippet rescue, they check out the potential adopter's home and situation to ensure it's a perfect match. How long will you be living there? Is there any family members that could take him in for a few years until you get back? If you are able to ship him over make sure you do all the research about what vaccines/vet records he needs and any quarantines the country may have.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Before placing him with anyone, I would call the Saint Bernard rescue....that way even if he didn't get a home, he will be safe....You are NOT a bad owner for doing this....that's like taking a Greyhound to antarctica.....Maybe the rescue group could keep him until you get back?? They have foster homes....I don't know how long you will be gone, but in all honesty, a Saint Bernard probably wouldn't do good in that heat....I can't even stand to see them where I live in las vegas. It gets that hot sometimes...and idiots here leave their animals outside!! That is a bad owner. You are just doing what is best for your friend...good luck and let us know what happens!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:40 PM on May. 11, 2009

• BTW...I also WOULD NOT post anything on Craigslist or online or in the paper...people use them jsut for breeding or don't want them anymore. I would go through the vets office and see if maybe someone recently lost a pet. At least that way, you know he will be taken care of....Im so sorry!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Look up St. Bernard rescue online and there will be a number for your area, or an information number to call to get hold of someone in your area who can foster him or re-home him permanently, whichever you prefer. Depending on how long you will be stationed in Bahrain, rehoming might be a better option. You are NOT being cruel to call a breed rescue. Taking him to the pound, throwing him out on the street to fend for himself, or putting an ad out for some unscrupulous person to take him for God know's what reason is what would be cruel. You are doing the right thing and the best thing for your friend.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:17 PM on May. 11, 2009