Women calling cps and the police to the library?!?

So today I took my daughter to story and craft time at the library.

So one dad who appeared to be in his mid A had his two kids with him, a boy and girl that appeared to be about 4 and 5.

The son started acting like a brat, screaming and running around, and even started grabbing other kids crafts and throwing and ripping them. The dad kept warning the kid, and then asked him if he wanted a spanking, then the kid started acting even worse! So the dad picked him up and went into the bathroom next door and we could all hear the spanking that ensued. It was nothing major, a few swats and then the kid calmed down.

Afterward 3 of the moms came up to him and said he was an abuser and that they had called the police and cps on him while he was in the bathroom!!

Why do some people call cps on every little thing?? I felt so bad for him, I didn't know what to do. How would you have reacte

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 4:48 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would never call CPS over someone spanking a child. If he just sat around and did nothing while the kid acted that way they would have been mad about that too. Some people just like to complain. It is legal to spank your child isn't it?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I keep trying to edit my wuestion, but it won't let me. So sorry about the typos! I meant to say, the dad was in his mid twenties, and how would you have reacted in the situation? Cafemom editing has been acting weird today.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would have let him parent his child as he saw fit. It wasn't like he took him in the bathroom, cursed him out and beat him with a belt! He just took his kid out of the situation, gave him a few swats to his backside, and let him know that his behavior was inappropriate. I respect that more than the mother who lets her kid scream and run around the room, saying nothing.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 4:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would have stayed until the police came and would give them a statement. While I do not spank, I do not think that all parents who do it are abusers. If it didn't sound like what he was doing was child abuse, I would have waited and told the police that.
    Anonymous

• I don't know, but seems to me that if you guys could hear it through the bathroom it might have been extreem. Then there are poeple that believe any spanking is extreem and abusive. Haard to say, I have never had a problem telling a parent when I think they have gone to far, but I don;t call the cops.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• i would have told the ladies that called the cops to mind their own and i would have been a witness for the dad saying that the kid was acting up and needed a little swat on the butt and that the ladies calling the cops were just over reacting and that they were just trying to start trouble- its not fair that a parent cant raise their own child now adays without nosy people getting involved- its not like the guy beat the crap out of the boy- he did wut had to be done
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I can't say that I disagree with the moms there. I agree that to spank or not to spank is a personal decision that each family makes, but because it is a personal decision, it should be enacted in a private manner. It is NOT something that it is fair to subject other people to. I don't think that I could stomach hearing a father spanking his son. I think it is extremely damaging to do so in the hearing of other children---think about what it must have been like for them to hear that little boy crying in the bathroom while his dad hit him. They are too young to understand what is going on, they only know that they are witnessing anger and violence. It must have been traumatizing for some of them. He showed very poor judgment by spanking that child at the library. The proper thing for him to do would have been to leave.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Do you think it would be too late for me to call the police station and see if I can still give a witness statement about the incident?
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• That's ridiculous. I don't think he did anything wrong...as long as he isn't leaving marks on the kids or going overboard.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:00 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think this man handled it the best way he could. It doesn't bother me to see a child get spanked if they are acting up. It would have bothered me more if this kid was acting the way he was and the dad did nothing. Did the police actually show up?
    Anonymous