When is the best time for moving from crib to bed?

Ok my baby will be 2 on Sat. (may 16) and was wondering what everyone thought about cribs/beds. When should he be in a big kid bed. We have bunk beds, but i am thinking of getting him a toddler bed, it is closer to the ground.
My oldest didnt get a big boy bed til he was over 3 1/2. We had little money and just kepted his crib matress on the floor and made it up like a bed. (he got to camp out everynight)
The toddler doesnt climb out .....yet. Hasn't really tried, that i know of. I know when they do its time...but what if they never do try to climb out? It's just something I thought I would throw out there.
Hope this makes since, its been a long day. =)

Zaphira

Asked by Zaphira at 4:50 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For us, it's when they start to climb out of the crib.
    MissV.

Answer by MissV. at 4:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Our twins were climbing out at 18mo but they couldn't seem to stay on the toddler bed even with rails. So we decided to go with a in between( a couch that fold to a bed! They are now 2.5 and they sleep in toddler bed all night and very rarely roll off them. Hope this helps...
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 4:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• When my second was on the way we moved the older child out about 4 months or so before the due date so that he wouldn't think the baby was taking his place. For the second it was about age 2 when he started climbing out of the crib on his own. For both children I set the crib up against the side of the bed at first so the child would feel move familiar with the bed and to keep them from falling out. They could still climb out by moving down toward the foot of the bed.

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I didn't move mine until 31 months. But it really depends on your child's personality - how likely is he to play instead of sleep, even in the middle of the night? How likely is he to explore his room, including climbing the furniture? How dangerous is your house for an unsupervised child in the middle of the night? How likely are you to hear him once he learns to try to be sneaky?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:20 PM on May. 11, 2009

• For you it's when you want him out of the crib.

For us, that was at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My daughter was almost 2 when she climbed out of the crib and fell. (It was already on the lowest setting, with no bumpers or extra stuff to step up on) We moved her right into a twin-size bed with a bed rail and she's never had any problems falling out.

Naptimes were a challenge for awhile. She would get up and play in her room instead of sleeping. We haven't had issues with night-time exploring (she doesn't like to roam in the dark.) although she has come into our room a few times.

I would have liked to keep her in a crib a bit longer, but it was just too dangerous with her climbing out!
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If the child doesn't climb out, I'd do the move at about 3. That was our plan but our son had a different idea. He climbed out at 22 months.. Much like MarigoldsMama, naptime was a challenge for a bit. We close his door (with a gizmo on the knob that stops him from turning it) as I have no doubt he'd go off exploring by himself if he wasn't trapped in his room!
    Anonymous

• Yeah I would do the door cover thing, but... The house is older and the doors dont shut like they use to, but we can close the hall way doors. So he would be stuck in the hall way or bedrooms. And he shares a room with his 6 yr old bother. I really don't plan on doing anything til at least this summer.
    This summer goals,
    1. Potty training
    2 no more crib(?)
    We'll have to wait and see how it goes.
    Zaphira

Answer by Zaphira at 5:34 PM on May. 13, 2009