Do you think it is tacky to talk about how much you spent for someones gift ?

My mom does this and it always irks me , It seems so tacky to me
It seems like it misses the whole spirit of giving a gift
What do you think ?

CSRodriguez

Asked by CSRodriguez at 4:57 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes it's tacky. JMO
    Anonymous

• ya i agree with you, doesnt matter the cost but the time and effort, and the thought that counts
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 5:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• confusedHell yeah! But, how do you break that down to your moms? THAT, I don't know. Good luck!

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 5:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Very tacky.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 5:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yup, it's tacky.

Next time she pulls that, just say, "You know, Mom, knowing that you thought about me (or gift recipient) is worth more than the monetary value of the gift - but I don't really have to tell you that for you to know it, right?" Maybe she'll get the hint. If not, tell her flat out that you don't appreciate the comment or say, "Who cares? It's the thought that counts."
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the situation. My mom and I are major bargain shoppers and get a big kick out of seeing who can get the best deals. We almost always tell each other what we paid on gifts for each other and everyone else as well and offer congratulations to the best deals. I would never discuss it with anyone but her though.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 6:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Very, it is. But I agree with spbeta, if I find a great deal, my mom or MIL love to hear about it. My DH got a gift from a family "friend" who is very pretensious... pewter candlestick holders... she told my MIL they were lioke $200.... well a few years later (when I was pulling them out of the box, lol) I discovered a barcode sticker with the price on the inside... $65. LOL.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 7:23 PM on May. 11, 2009