what are the signs to look for to know if your child is ready to potty train?

my DD is 20 months old, and I'm wondering what signs you looked for in your child to let you know they were ready to potty train? how do you know when they are "ready"???

JayGirlsMom

Asked by JayGirlsMom at 4:58 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They are able to say that they need to go, can pull their pants down, can stay dry through naptime, shows interest in the potty. They can start before showing these signs, but, If you wait until they show them all, it will be much easier. And most kids do better if you wait until 2 and a 1/2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My method I used for my four,
    Is do they need a drink at bed time and do they have a very heavy soied diaper in the morning, also do you know roughly her number two schedule.
    If no, no and yes
    Sorry also that she understands when you speak to her.
    Then I think that she is ready.
    My first two days I clear my schedule and let them run around stark naked (i found that they get more aware of their sensations when there is nothing there to "catch" it.) putting them on the toilet every 30 mins or so and around her number two time every 15 mins.
    After that the rest is history... BTW the first two days make sure you have plenty of carpet cleaning supplies.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 5:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• The biggest is being able to go at least 2 hours between wet diapers. If she doesn't, then she hasn't learned to hold her pee yet which means she is physically not able to learn to use the potty.
    Other helpful things - she is interested, you have no disruptions planned for the family.

She doesn't need to be able to speak - Do not wait for her to tell you she has to go. She may in the beginning but she will quickly decide that she would rather play instead of go to the bathroom. Waiting for your child to tell you or expecting an honest answer when you ask is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Don't ask, don't expect her to tell - TELL HER it is time to try.
    She doesn't need to work her own clothes - you will not be leaving her alone in the bathroom for months and months. This is a safety issue.
    Many kids wet through nap or overnight until 6 years old so don't wait for her to wake up dry.

Be patient and kind!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My kid did all this at 2 and a 1/2, so, it is a resonable list. I didn't say wait till she says, I said she is able to communicate the need. If she is able to pull her pants down, then it is helpful to her, again, I didn't say she would be pulling them down on her own. And yes, naptime dryness is a big indicator, you aren't expecting them to sleep for hours on end. Usually 2 hours is a good naptime for an of potty training age child.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:44 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I bought a pot when my son was a year and had started to use understandable words like no I want juice or I want eat eat... I only had him sit on it while we were in the restroom and explained to him what it was for... he became familiar with it and would go in the restroom with his father or his older brothers to use the potty... Now that he is 2 1/2 he has learned to tell us that he has to use the pot or that he wants to use the pot, we still have accidents and he still forgets but the bathroom needs are more spaced out throughout the day so we can time the incidents better... We are still learning and so is he is still spending time on the pot with his books (lol) but the time is not as long or as frustrating to him... But patience and what works for you and your family is the key as well as persistance....
    VMac

Answer by VMac at 6:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• mine were ready when they woke up from a nap and their diaper was dry. And they both asked to sit on the potty. you can sometimes tell by the way they walk or they are pulling at themselves. I take my youngest son about every 20 minutes because he drinks a lot. And when you switch them over to underwear then stay with it. It confuses the child if you put underwear on them one day and then the next change them to pullups. They will have accidents to start with because they will be engrossed in something or forget they have underwear on. Patience is the key and in no time they will be potty trained.
    missangie

Answer by missangie at 7:58 PM on May. 11, 2009