Working mom

Iam a mother of an 18month old little girl. Iam also a road worker and iam out of town mon-fri. My job is seasonal so i only work the summer monthes and have the winters off. I worked last season and hated being away from her, but these days work is not some thing to mess around with, I also know that i could try to find another job but thats easier said than done. I make great money doing what i do but now that shes getting older its alot harder for me to leave her, so iam very lost and i dont know if it makes me seem like a bad mother because iam not home with her all the time, I just need some insight on what to do or is any one else out there a mom who works away from home?

CourtnieR

Asked by CourtnieR at 4:59 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• please join this group for working mothers: http://www.cafemom.com/group/96636

these girs are an amazing support system, non-judgmental and very smart. there are a lot of working mothers here, and we're all struggling through a lot of the same issues. it's very hard, some days more so than others, but with support and encouragement you can make this life the best it can be for both you and your little girl :) please join our group!!

mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• While my mom wasn't away quite that much, she was a single mother and had to work two jobs just to keep our power on and food on our table. I think you're doing the best you can for your daughter, and the fact that you're so torn up about it is proof of how much you love her. Just make the most out of the time you have with her. Quality is better than quantity.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 5:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• What a great question! I can share with you about my journey in the same struggle. For 5 yrs I was a seminar facilitator & was gone for a week at a time. In 2007 I was gone 27 weeks out of the year away from my family. There was a sense of personal reward in what I was doing & bring home very good money! There was also the underlying guilt of am I being a good mother! I missed recitals, plays, ball games & growth milestones.

I have a great husband who could run the business and change his schedule to meet the needs of the kids and my schedule. It was a great set up! The support was good from family, friends & spouse!

I made lists of the prices I was paying for being away & the benefits for being away! As long as the benefits out weigh the prices then it was a good set up. Once the prices out weighed the benefits I had to make a change! Then it was not about being a good mom because a good mom provides no matter what!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 3:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Continue....

Now I stay home most of the year! I home school one son & everything I learned & taught is now in the brains of my kids. I do the same kind of work from home just in a smaller arena.

I coach & consult women in business, building thier strengths & living better life styles.

Can you do what your doing closer to home?
    Do you have a great support system for your daughter while you are away?
    When you are home what values and lessons are you teaching & showing her?
    What do you want to get out of being a mother?
    What does she need from you so she feels like you are a part of her life while you are away?

You do not have to answer any of these questions to me! They are just there for you to answer for yourself & your family situation!

Do not allow yourself to let others judge your choices this is a personal one for you!

We each have different gifts to teach our children & you h
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 3:14 PM on May. 12, 2009