'Titanic' stars help ship's last survivor

LONDON – "Titanic" stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet have pledged to help the last survivor of the sinking of the ocean liner. The stars say they have thrown their support behind a fund that would subsidize Millvina Dean's nursing home fees.

Dean was 2 months old when the Titanic sank beneath the waves on the night of April 14, 1912. She has been living at a nursing home in the English city of Southampton since she broke her hip about three years ago but has struggled to pay the fees.

In October she sold several Titanic mementoes to raise cash.

DiCaprio and Winslet said in a statement that they hoped Dean could rest easier knowing that her future was secure. The Millvina Fund was launched Monday in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I think this is so nice of them.

timelessglass

Asked by timelessglass at 5:11 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh thats awesome!! I heard about her selling her things to pay for her bills and it broke my heart. This is exactly what I was hoping for her to happen. Yay!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I love to hear about famous people doing things like that! It really makes them seem more human. That really is awsome!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Very nice indeed.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Awesome. I was wondering when someone would come to the poor lady's rescue.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 5:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Very nice. I think that Leo does a lot of good for various causes and Kate is such a great actress. Good people in my book.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think it's great that they helped her out. James Cameron pitched in also. The photographer that asked them to help also asked Celine Dion but no word.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:04 PM on May. 11, 2009