What age did you get your child a cell phone?

My dd is 7 and some kids she knows already have phones. I would not get her one at this age..but she is already asking...what age did your child get theres?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 5:11 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Mine aren't old enough but won't get one until they're 16 and can afford it themselves. It would probably be an added line on my account for them to reimburse me for.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• my kids arent old enough but they will not get a cell phone until they are working and can pay for it themselves- my fiances 2 kids both have cells and i think it ridiculous how they run the bills up like crazy but then when it comes time for them to do something around the house or keep up their grades they dont-
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:16 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My oldest is about to be 11 & doesn't have one. Have no plans to buy him one in the foreseeable future, either.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:16 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son was in second grade.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 5:22 PM on May. 11, 2009

• None of mine are old enough yet. My oldest is almost 9 and her best friend (who is almost 10) has a cell phone. She knew a kid in 1st grade that had one (she was 6). My kids have no need for one. They are either here with me, at school or at a friend's house. What do they need cell phones for?
    And, I survived most of my life without one. I didn't get my first cell phone until 2004. I was 27 and had 3 kids at the time. Half the time I don't even take it with me when I go out or it isn't charged.
    Most likely they won't get one until they have jobs and can pay for them their selves or if they are involved in sports or something that takes them all over the city. Depends on what they are like as teens.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son is 11 and I'm thinking about getting him a pre-paid one. I'm still debating it with myself though. LOL!

He's suppose to go to Africa this summer and I want to get him a phone so he can stay safe. I'm still thinknig about it.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 5:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Going to Africa at 11 years old? And you're not going with him? WOWSERS! I must be over-protective, LOL!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My oldest is 8 and he won't be getting one any time soon. His cousins already have them and when they lose or break them they get in trouble and I ask my sis why she evens buys them for them. she's pretty much setting them up to get in trouble.
    Anonymous

• The earliest I would let my kids get one is 13 and then it would be a pre-paid one or the Firefly one for kids where you control who they can call andget calls from.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:43 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I got one for my son when he was 8. He doesn't have it now(only because it's a prepaid phone and I always forget) but he'll be getting a new one on our contract this summer he's 10.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:47 PM on May. 11, 2009