What do you do when your preschool age child just doesn't listen?

No matter what I do for punishment nothing works. She doesn't listen. I have taken away priveleges. I have taken away favorite toys. I have time out in many different ways. Nothing works. I am at my wits end!

RebeccaTalRue

Asked by RebeccaTalRue at 5:11 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's my middle child. I'd consider him extremely strong-willed. I bought a book about strong-willed children and from the first page it was like I was reading a biography of his life. It's called Setting Limits for the Strong-Willed Child. It was a good book and a quick read.

I have noticed I tend to "flop" sometimes when it comes to punishments so I've had to really pay attention and be strict with him. He is the type of child that doesn't learn his lesson the first or second time...he's more like the 50th, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:16 PM on May. 11, 2009

• That is the thing with my daughter. Nothing fases her. She is so laid back that it doesn't bother when something is taken away. She'll go find something else. Or if I try a time out in one way. She'll do her time (may cry for few seconds) but she is right back to doing something she isn't suppose too. She is such a smart little girl that I don't get it. She even sometimes smile or smirks when I am fussing at her. That makes me madder. What am I the joker?
    RebeccaTalRue

Answer by RebeccaTalRue at 5:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• That's the problem though. She knows your weaknesses and knows how to get you going. Stay firm but don't over-react (your tone). She's going to push and prod at your to get a rise out of you...you just need to let her know it's not going to work anymore and that to get what she wants, she needs to be a respectful little lady =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• She doesn't get what she wants though. I never give in. If she breaks down in hysterics I don't let her have it just to shut her up. Trust me on that. I do stand firm if like I take away dessert or a favorite snack of hers. She does cry and throw fits over it for a few minutes. But I'll be damned if she isn't right back to doing it. I put her right back on time outs when she does her little smirks. I let her know that is a big no no! I am getting better at not always raising my voice at them.

RebeccaTalRue

Answer by RebeccaTalRue at 5:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would get the book the first poster suggested. Books can give you a lot of good tools to work with.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 10:38 AM on May. 12, 2009