a little high maintenance

does anyone elses dog seem a little high maintenance? My little dauchsund only seems to do well on the more expensive dog foods such as eukanuba or science diet. WHen ever i buy from wal-mart like the purina one or iams, he looses weight and throws up sometimes. At least it seems to be when i have to get the walmart food. Because when we run out of the good stuff the closest store is 40 miles away and i have to wait untill the weekend to go over there. And his coat is always much shiner and smoother on the other dog foods. We also feed hubbys dogs the expensive stuff, that is like $30.00 or more a sack, but they are hard working dogs, my little bed bug does nothing all day but doesn't strive unless he gets the more expensive stuff. Anyone elses pooch like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I have a cat like that. I don't think it's being high-maintenace by choice though since it's causing digestion problems. A lot of animals can't tolerate the food sold at large discount stores. It has lots of grain and by-products in it that upset the stomach. The more REAL meat in the product, the better.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with ReneeK3

My two Maine Coon cats threw up the cheaper stuff, too. They did great on Royal Canin brand.

Maybe you could do like I did so I wouldn't run out. Buy two bags more than you usually need between trips. Then every trip to the store buy one bag. That way you always have two extras on hand. Just remember to use the oldest bag first and rotate.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:23 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It doesn't mean they're high maintenance. It just means that your dog has a sensitive stomach and can't handle the crap they put in cheap foods. My cats are on prescription food (I have 13 indoor only cats). I feed my four dogs Wellness (sold at Petco and some specialty shops). When I have foster cats or dogs, I always feed them Wellness. Feeding an animal anything you can purchase at Walmart is the equivalent of feeding your children french fries, bologna, and Sunny D every day. The kids might LIKE the stuff...it won't necessarily make them horribly ill...and it keeps them full as long as they eat enough of it, but it's not good for them. Feeding a high quality diet will add years to your pets' lives. Look at Wellness, Blue Buffalo, and Spa Select. Stay away from anything sold in grocery/discount stores, and for the record, Science Diet really isn't any better than Purina. Look for whole ingredients, with a meat source first.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 5:43 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Mrs Gurt i think you are a little confused on your brands. Science diet is sold by many vets. I can't imagine a vet would sale something that they didn't think to be a good product.
    Anonymous

• Actually, Mrs. Gurt is right about the Science Diet. When my dad's cat developed Diabetes, the vet said it's one of the worse foods you can feed. Why some vets still carry it is a good question.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Most veterinarians carry Hills Prescription Diet, which is sold by the makers of Science Diet, which is also made by Purina. I feed my cats Hills Prescription, which I think is pure crap (even at $55 a bag), but it's the only food my special needs cats can tolerate. It does it's job as far as the medical condition it keeps in check, but the overall quality sucks.

Many veterinarians also promote Iams pet food, even though Iams is not only a poor-quality food, but is also owned by Proctor and Gamble, a company that conducts animal testing on household cleaners and cosmetics.

Veterinarians are paid by these companies to promote and/or distribute their products. It's dollars and cents. Doesn't mean the products themselves are worthy.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 6:02 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Vets carry and promote Science Diet because Science Diet pays them to do so. Dog food companies give money to vet schools and vet clinics for the sole purpose of vets recommending it as a good food and giving out samples to their clients. I wouldn't feed it to my dogs. My dogs probably aren't high maintenance, but I refuse to feed them crap dog food. I feed Innova Evo and they have really shiny soft coats. People are always commenting on how nice their coats feel.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:38 PM on May. 11, 2009

• natural balance from petco is a great brand, my dog has food allergies and that is what he has to eat
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If you think that is high maintenence, my dog doesn't eat any of that. She gets real meat and vegetables. She has allergies and honestly, it was a hell of a lot better than attempting to find a brand that worked. I just said "f this..." and bought her some beef and chicken.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:43 AM on May. 12, 2009

• When I rescued my lil bichon poodle, I did research on foods. The higher quality foods have more benefits. Less cleanup in his stool, and this breed of dog can have a lot of allergies. Things that ReneeK3 can be allergy or digestive track related.

I agree it isn't high maintenance. The word Diet is the way anyone or person eats. And I know I feel better when I give my body better quality of food too!

Good Luck. Some of the pet stores do have programs, buy so many bags and get a discount or free or something.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 10:00 AM on May. 12, 2009