C-Section Help

I had a C-Section performed on the 6th of May after pushing in labor for roughly 4 hours. Couldn't get the big guy out.

My problem is now that it is 6 days later, I'm still on Percocets until about 2 more days and still in sheer and utter pain. If I can't take something when the pain wears off, I can't move around let alone hold my child in my arms to feed. I'm having low grade fevers, my swelling is so bad, I can't lift my legs to put my own clothes or underwear on. Hubby has been helping with that. My blood pressure is high as well as my resting heart rate.

They told me at the hospital to walk and drink lots of liquids. I didn't walk much during pregnancy, but drinking fluids has been high on my list with 3 to 4 pints of water, a 64 fl oz of cranberry juice and 3 to 4 cups of milk. I'm clearly not dehydrated, but swelling is not being helped.

Can someone help me or tell me what I can do to help myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your swelling and high blood pressure concern me. I think you need to be seen by your doctor again ASAP. You could have a seizure.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:30 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yeah thats not normal. Go to the ER.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 5:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Walk, walk lots. It really helps and in the long run will help with pain. But with you having fevers I'd be wondering about an infection. Have you had your stitches/staples looked at or taken out yet? Did they give you any support/compression hose? I had mine on before they did the c/s. It helps with the swelling and any blood clot issues.

Honestly, you should be consulting a Dr, your bp is high, your hr is high, you are having fevers and lots of swelling. I'm surprised they let you leave the hospital with those complications. Go see a Dr and get it taken care of while it's still a minor(ish) issue before it develops into something bigger.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would go to your doctor.....I had trouble getting out of bed the next morning becasue of the surgery aspect but by day 2 I was fine.....day 3 my staples were removed and other than the typical bleeding I felt great....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think you might have an infection, you should call the dr asap or even head to the ER.
    ajnattysmommy

Answer by ajnattysmommy at 6:17 PM on May. 11, 2009

• The same happened to me. Shortly after the c section I went to see the Dr. to make sure all was well, totally routine at the hospital where I gave birth. When I stepped on the scale I weighed the same amount I did while preggo. I spoke with the nurse about it and she said it was normal-that the swelling would go down in about 2 weeks. I was like, 2 WEEKS! You've got to be kidding me...but, she was right. One morning I got up went to pee, I could see my ankles and peed forever (TMI)! Just keep drinking plenty of fluids! Congrats on the baby! BTW, how big was your little guy?
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 8:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Oh, I so hope there is no infection. The whole ordeal was a bit much and if this means cutting me back open, I think my nerves would be shot.

I'm on day 6 and still having problems getting out of a recliner. Can't lay down in bed yet without much discomfort. My pain tolerance is really low and my tolerance to pain medication is very high which makes this totally stink, too. My sister said she was driving days later, but for me there is no way.

The instructions state that I should only call if the fevers are over 101. I had one in the hospital and one since being home. Uhhh!

They did keep checking my stitches the 4 days I was there and I was told they looked good. I just think this swelling is putting an awful amount of pressure on the stitches. I, too, gained water weight after having my child. I have yet to loose weight even with a 11 pd baby.

I will make an appointment tomorrow. And, thanks for the congrats!
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 8:55 PM on May. 11, 2009