At a loss over how to deal with the flu

So, I've been lucky - my 19 month old has never been sick, until this week. He developed a 102 degree fever three days ago (took him to the doctor, was told just to give fluids and the normal stuff) but then he began coughing and got very croupy, and has gotten somewhat dehydrated. He will be listless for a couple hours, then he gets up and plays for a bit before getting whiny and wanting to sleep. Its hard to get him to drink anything, too... He just seems miserable, and I don't know what else I can do for him.
So, other than what I am doing - forcing fluids, using a humidifier, and giving tylenol for the fever and throat pain - is there ANYTHING else I can do? And how do I know if it is time to call the doctor again? I just haven't had to deal with such a little guy being so sick before. Its a bit terrifying. Any suggestions?

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 5:36 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your doing all that can be done...good job, keep it up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If he's been diagnosed with influenza, you should be asking these questions of the doctor. If the cough developed after the last time he was seen, I'd definitely get him back in....especially if it's croupy (croup lasts 3-5 days usually) and he's not getting better.

The first three days of any cold are usually the worst...but if he has an influenza diagnosis..well, I don't have any experience with that, so I'd take him in if it was me.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Try to offer popsicles or jello. I know when my son had the stomach flu and was on clear fluids these things helped. Also, offer pedilite (Meijer brand is just as good and costs a lot less) to keep from dehydrating.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:19 PM on May. 11, 2009