Republican women...Do you feel fairly represented in your party?

"Women make up almost 51 percent of the U.S. population but less than 10 percent of the House and Senate GOP..."
"Of course, there are fewer Republicans than Democrats of either gender in the two houses. But even on a percentage basis, Republicans suffer a gender gap. Twenty-two percent of House Democrats are women, but only 9.5 percent of House Republicans are. In the Senate, nearly 23 percent of the Democrats are women, but only 10 percent of the Republicans are. "

I do believe one of the biggest points IMO the article points out is that the Rep. party is pushing out the moderates....

Why do you think your party lacks women in leadership roles?

Feel free to also discuss a lack of women (percentage wise) in government, from any party....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090511/pl_politico/22342

*not a Rep. bashing post, just intresting and wanted to hear from Rep. women...all party/no party welcome to reply

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 5:42 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe either major party represents women - or men or children for that matter. They have us so busy fighting over Republican versus Democrat and issues like gay marriage and abortion that we fail to see what is really occurring. They have literally divided and conquered us. Since when do millionaires represent the average American? Does the president (or former president) or anyone in Congress know what it is like to cut coupons to meet their grocery budget? They never again have to worry about health care or retirement, because they are set for life after one term in office. Both parties have pissed away the financial future of the next two generations. The stimulus money should have come back to We The People, because it was our money to begin with. The government only has what we give to it. That includes money as well as power. We can't afford big government anymore and that is what both parties want.
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 10:42 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well, up until this year, I have always considered myself a Republican. I have voted Republican every election since I could (and I am in my 40's). This hear however, I voted Democratic. So, I think more and more you are going to see less party representation, so to speak, and more going with whoever we feel is the best candidate.
    Anonymous

• You know, this is a great question and honestly- being a Republican woman i've never thought about it. I would like to see more responses before I answer.. I do have some possible explanations as to why this may be though.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I do. Why wouldnt I??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:50 PM on May. 11, 2009

• IMO I think women still have a long way to go and this is in every party. I think it was outrages and vulgar how Palin was treated by this country and the ABUSE she endured should have NEVER been tolerated by anyone.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 5:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't think it has anything to do with men running our country, but we, as women, since we make up so much of America, need to get out and vote when it comes time to vote to place people in the senate. It's our own fault that there isn't more women in the government. You want to see more women, the rest of the women want to see more women, then vote for them, or run yourself. I hardly ever see, well good, women running for any position. Not very many women want those positions, so thats why there is very little.
    Anonymous

• Well, I do believe that we need more women in office, regardless of political party. I would like to see more women who represent me and my interests, and would support one who did. I did not feel like either Hillary or Sarah Palin did that. Sorry to butt in, since I'm not a Republican but this is a great question.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 6:09 PM on May. 11, 2009

• i was appalled that my 2 choices to represent me were Hillary and Sarah. Hillary bugs me, and Sarah had no business running at all, she needs more experience and should have been at home preparing her daughter for motherhood.

i think there is defiantly a lack of representation in both parties. we need qualified intelligent women to run. and we need to get off our butts and vote!
    Anonymous

• I vote for the candidate that most closely resembles my ideals, regardless of gender. I thought that was something we weren't supposed to let influence us (gender, race, religion, etc.).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have a hard time believing that pro choice, anti gun liberal women would feel represented by someone like Sarah Palin. It's not all about the sex of the candidate.
    Anonymous