Conservatives

Why are conservatives, who are against Big Government, to the extent that they want to do away with social services, public assistance, etc. etc. for Government control of marriage?

If you are conservative, how do you feel about Government control of marriage? How do you feel about Government in general?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What government control of marriage? You mean gay marriage?
    Anonymous

• The government, in my opinion, has no control over marriage, gay marriage is a seperate kind of marriage that government had to get involved in because majority of Americans were getting upset about it. And I think, not just conservatives, a lot of people are against big governments.
    Anonymous

• That is the hypocritical part that they just don't see. They want the government to dictate our morality, but not feed the homeless.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 6:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Aye I don't want to totally do away with PA just some mega reform and yes much smaller government and control of americans lives.Marriage the only reason gov got involved is the $$$ made marriage licsense and such.
    Anonymous

• I want to add though, that I think neither party is right.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 6:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I guess I am not that conservative then. I want my government to uphold the constitution and keep our country safe. I don't want them to have a hand in marriage, family, religion, education, health, or any moral issues. I don't believe that it's possible to legislate morals.
    Anonymous

• assume much?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:39 PM on May. 11, 2009

• "They want the government to dictate our morality, but not feed the homeless."

I just want to say that its a misconception that conservatives don't care about the poor and needy. A study came out this last year that showed by a huge margin that conservatives give more to charity than anyone else.

We just prefer to give our money to private groups that actually send 90 - 100% of what we give to the needy, as opposed to the government which squanders away most of the money in their hole of beauracracy.
    Anonymous

• There's a technicality to your question - expanding the government recognized definition of marriage, IS expanding government.

The smallest of governments wouldn't worry about legal forms and marriage registrations at all.
    Anonymous

• The government recognizes legal marriages performed by those licensed to do so in accordance with a states legal statutes. If it's not legal to marry someone, then it's not legal...period! Why is this so hard for people to comprehend? If you want to change the laws, keep trying! But last I checked the MAJORITY of registered voters aren't interested in changing the laws to accommodate 1/10 of 1% of the population.

All gay marriage is going to do is ruin the sanctity of the ORIGINAL purpose of a RELIGIOUS ceremony. If you go against the RELIGIOUS and MORAL teachings, then you go against the PURPOSE of marriage--which is/was to PROCREATE!!!
    Anonymous