Re: Little Girls Touching Themselves...

I seen this question posted in a group, and some of the answers were quite disturbing...("I tell my little girl to go to her room and do that.") Telling your 2, or 3 yr. old to go to their room and play with their coochie, is DISGUSTING!. It is natural for small children to be curious about their body parts, and they will touch themselves in the bathtub, or while changing their diapers. BUT, for a mother to tell her toddler daughter to go to her room, and touch herself, is just wrong on so many levels. Instead of telling your daughter to go in her room and play with herself, why don't mommy spend some time with her daughter, stimulate her daughters brain...Read to her, play a game with her, take her to the park, hold her, etc. Does anyone else find that disgusting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WTF!? Yeah that is just a little disturbing? A little child exploring w/their genitals is a healthy/natural part of life but for the parent to encourage it on that level "go play w/yourself in the room"....thats weird. I agree the parent should be stimulating the childs brain instead...give a explanation as to what it is & you know depending on the childs age that its a private place for only their hands during potty & bathtime. THEN you need to change the subject & get the child focused on something else.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think you are misunderstanding the point.

The point of teaching her to go to her room and do this is to teach her that some things are done in private, not right there in the living room with an audience. A child this young will quickly learn this and will quickly learn that being alone in her room is not as much fun as being with mom. So the behavior is discouraged without shaming the child and the child learns something about proper public behaviors. To me, that's a win-win.
    Picking up a toddler and doing something fun with her everytime she touches herself will simply teach her that it's a great way to get mom's attention. Is that a better lesson?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• YES, AND IT WAS PITIFUL THAT OPRAH SAID ON HER SHOW TO TELL THEM GO IN THERE ROOM...I GUESS WHAT OPRAH SAYS THE WHOLE WORLD ASSUMES TO BE THE ONLY "CORRECT ANSWER"! I AGREE WITH YOU WE SHOULD DISTRACT THEM WITH SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 6:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have to say to Kaycee14..What is it with women named CASEY?..seriously..a child touching themselves in the tub or while changing their diaper is fine..BUT, letting them go to their room just to "touch themselves".. is weird to me..And people telling their kids to go to their room is still causing problems, because then they still feel they have to hide it..either way it's lose lose for you and people like you dear..
    Anonymous

• When they are older that is what you should tell them, when they are 2-3 I agree, try to distract them but don't make it a big deal. If they insist on doing it explain to them that that is something we do by ourselves because it is private. Don't make it dirty. I DO tell my older kids to do that in their room because otherwise they walk around the house with their part in their hand(maybe it's just a boy thing).
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:46 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with telling your child that if they want to do that then they can do it in their room. It is not encouraging or discouraging them to do it. It is just setting limits to where and when it is appropriate.
    Your mother probably discouraged you from doing it and that is why you are so frigid sexually.
    Anonymous

• I tell my daughter to pick her nose in private. I tell her to pick her butt in private, too. I don't write "play with your vulva" into her schedule, but if she's picking at her underwear, I tell her we do that in private. I don't encourage her to do it. I simply use it as a teaching moment. The lesson I want her to learn is that it's not appropriate to play with yourself in front of others, and that things pertaining to her private parts are to be kept private. The lesson is not "yay! let's play with our girly parts" but "these are my parts, and I will take them to my room or the bathroom to touch / wipe."
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• We say, that is a personal thing and needs to be done in private like going potty or taking a bath.
    Anonymous

• We do not encourage it, but tell our kids that it is something that is only appropriate in their bedroom and that it isn't allowed elsewhere. I don't see anything wrong with setting limits to where they do it.
    I don't think any mom is pushing their kids into touching themselves. They are just telling them that it is not ok to do it in public.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:52 PM on May. 11, 2009