~Piggy back~

Do you think it would help or hurt your case if you used religion to try to win a case of child custody? Based off of your religious beliefs. Please explain. God bless.

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 6:21 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • I don't think it would matter at all. Unless your religion is something that hurts children, I don't think the judge cares what religion you are, especially in a child custody case. Especially since we live in a country that give you the freedom to choose your own religion. It will never work.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:23 PM on May. 11, 2009

• With the government the way it is today--I think it would hurt the case. It seems like the government considers anyone with religious beliefs a radical and can turn a good thing into something bad.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:23 PM on May. 11, 2009

• That's actually not true Diva. There was a case recently where a homeschooling mom was forced by her soon-to-be-ex-husband to enroll her kids in traditional schooling because the father was afraid of her religion and what it might teach the children. It happens.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think it depends what religion the judge is....lol. It shouldnt, but sadly it can sometimes.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I guess it would depend on the judge. If you had a judge who finds that religion is needed to raise a family then it would help. If you have a judge who feels it would hurt your children then you would be SOL.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's sad, but I've heard of people losing their kids because of a misconception about their religion. Another reason I don't go around telling people in real life that I agree with Satanism.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:29 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think alot of it depends on how radical the beliefs are of the particular religion. And, how radical the belief of the soon-to-be ex's religion are. Courts tend to look at ALL aspects of a persons life in making a decision like this. If one religion is more radical then the other, the judge is inclined to follow the least radical of the two.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It shouldn't matter. In the case of custody issues, a father has the right to determine how his children are educated. If he thinks they need more than what the mom could provide he should be able to fight for them.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• by piggy back off the other question, it would the parent that left because of their spouses religion.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My guess, and this is just a guess is the judge will want a "well rounded" household to have the child in. If he thinks religion is the sole focus in your home, it won't go well for your case.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:39 PM on May. 11, 2009