What are appropriate "chores" for 13 and 7 year olds?

nc2fl2007

Asked by nc2fl2007 at 6:30 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't agree with chrissy629, chores are to help kids learn responsability. It is the parents responsibility to raise them not to be their maids. My kids clean their own rooms and restroom. They wash laundry, once a week they cook dinner, they mow the lawn, sweep and mop. It teaches them to be clean. When I used to do everything for them they didn't care and after 1 hour of the house being clean it was a dissaster again. Now that they help out they get mad if any of their siblings makes a mess. It teaches them to appreciate what you do for them and not only that but when they leave your house you will be comfortable to know that they will be able to take care of themselves. I think at your kids ages any chore is appropriate even for the younger one.
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 1:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My daughter's 9.

When we had the cats she was responsible for their food and water.

She has to dry and put away the dishes after I wash them.

She has to help put away groceries.

She can peel and cut vegetables and measure ingrediants to cook dinner and so she helps me make sunday dinner.

She has to make her bed, keep her room clean and put away her laundry.

Our children are able to do a lot more then we tend to think they can. I would say a 7 year old could do all of the above except for handling sharp knives.

A 13 year old SHOULD do all of the above + do their own laundry and possibly prepare 1 meal a week.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'd say the 7 year old should be making her own bed, sorting her laundry into color piles, keeping her room picked up and dusted, she can sweep the floor in the kitchen, take out the garbage, feed the pets.

The 13 year old should be doing all of what the 7 year old can do in addition to learning to make dinner, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom she uses, learning how to do her own laundry, watering the houseplant/outdoor plants, washing the car, unloading the dishwasher.

Keep in mind that chores are a way to teach kids how to take care of themselves someday.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• omg .. thats crazy these kids have lives too .. but i do think a 7 yr old should keep there rooms clean and make there beds.. also if they have a pet they should be responsiable for feeding and caring for that cat! when i was 7 i help with thge laundry not folding the clothes but the towels and rags only.. and Setting table for supper.
    At 13 i was washn and putting away dishes.. folding laundry keepn my room clean and bed made. and taking trash out and also.. helping with meals..
    Anonymous

• My children are 7 & 13 so maybe I could be of some help. My 13 yr old does the dishes everday after dinner. Both children are required to clean their rooms, make up the beds, vaccum their own floor, and dust their own room. They also, clean their own bathroom. Each weekend they help fold clothes with me and put their own clothes away. To keep things organized they have a chore chart to follow what they should do.
    lovelylj

Answer by lovelylj at 6:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• 13 and 17? Everything that you and your SO do. Especially the 17 yr old. There is nothing that they can't do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• By those ages they should basically be taking care of themselves and chipping in with whole family stuff like trash, kitchen cleaning, and so on.

My guy cleans his own room, sorts his laundry, folds towels and pillowcases, sorts the socks, puts away his clean laundry, helps with the kitchen and bathroom cleaning (wiping counters, front of appliances, and such), and helps pick up the living room every day. He also makes dinner once every couple of weeks (his speciality is rolling stuff up in crescent rolls) and will makes his own peanut butter sandwiches for lunch or for dinner if he doesn't like what I make. If he can do that at the tender age of 3 I'm quite sure your teens can handle a similar schedule.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My 8 y/o daughter maintains a clean room, sorts her laundry and puts it away when it is clean, collects the eggs from the chicken coop and checks the garden. She also helps with dinner and cleaning the kitchen after.

15 y/o son Outside chores --weedeater, lawnmower, sometimes gathering eggs, clearing table before meals, taking out trash and scraps to composter.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:57 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't believe in chores. Kids should be allowed to be kids. They have enough responsibility keeping their grades up. Keep their dirty clothes in the laundry and their dishes in the sink and I'm satisfied. Everything else is a parents responsibility. If they want to help I don't say no. But they don't have anything specific.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• doing the dishes,putting away the groceries,keeping their rooms tidy and making thier beds,putting the rubbish out
    Mommaofteennkid

Answer by Mommaofteennkid at 1:20 PM on May. 12, 2009