My son is now eight and we are rearranging rooms and hes still afraid to be alone, what can I do any suggestions? Please help..

He has as hma, eczcema and he is the only boy home and hes the baby of the bunch yup, hes with two sisters and a cuz..Hes afraid of the dark still, needs night light and tv on and he still has bad nightmares. He has five older brothers but they are not here anymore. so please help me.thanks

NanasLuv

Asked by NanasLuv at 7:00 PM on May. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe try getting him a pet. A dog who sleeps at the end of his bed or a cat who will sleep on the bed....even a hamster in a cage making noise on the wheel...
    In other words, another living creature in the room with him may help.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with the pet thing. My brother was the same way, he was 12 by the time he wasn't afraid of the dark anymore. He wouldn't sleep at night in his own room, he'd sneak downstairs and fall asleep watching tv so he wouldn't have to be 'alone'. My sister bought him a hamster and it worked great! Because hamsters are nocturnal it was always making noise at night and reminded him that he wasn't alone if he woke up at night.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 9:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son is 5 and hates sleeping alone too. We do the night light and TV, but he also really likes a dream catcher someone gave him as a souviner from somewhere. I told him how it keeps bad dreams away. Oh, it didn't hurt that my DH said how he sprinkled "magic" powder all around the house to keep us safe. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Talk to him about what he is afraid of or what he is dreaming about to help him express his fears. Read with him "happy/pleasant" stories before he goes to bed. Put on funny bedtime audio taped stories so can listen (and not think too much) yet he will be able to close his eyes. Have him read books (not at bedtime but during the day) stories about being afraid of the dark so he might see himself and find a solution which might be offered in the book. Tell him how he is becoming a "grown up" when he makes it through the night without getting out of his bed.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html   (click on the sleeping/afraid of the dark link)

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:57 AM on May. 12, 2009

• my son is afraid of monsters, in the closet under the bed.. We got a air freashener like "fresh linen" and made a label on the computer and called it "Monster OUT!!" we spray these areas when he's afraid and it keeps the monsters away.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:14 PM on May. 12, 2009