How do you get splinters out of little fingers?

My daughter(3) has tiny splinters in her fingers that she received yesterday at a friend's house. (Why she was allowed to play with a wooden board is beyond me.

Well, she won't even let me look at her finger long enough to try to get them out.

Any suggestions?

lizzeh

Asked by lizzeh at 7:12 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ok my son gets splinters all the time-hes a boy and rough whenever possible. First put the area in a warm bath for awhile, until her fingers start to prune up. Then get pointed tweezers and little by little get in there, the water will soften her hand so it should make it easier for you and less painful for her.

Good luck!
    stacB

Answer by stacB at 7:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My mom uses hospital tape or a white tape to draw it out.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If they are the really tiny splinters, they will work themselves out eventually -- don't worry about them.
    A long, hot bath will work some of them out and tape and/or bandaids works pretty good too.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• After getting the skin soft, rub a little oragel on the spot. That will numb it for the tweezers. This is the only use I've found for the stuff.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• LOL - I just had this issue yesterday with my son! He got a big splinter in his hand at the skate park and wouldn't let me go near his hand to get it out. He was tired, so after his nap, he had a bath and a good nights rest. I was able to get half out with tweezers while he was sleeping last night, but the rest will have to work it's way out. So naturally, this morning at school, he was showing it off to his friends and teachers. Then after school, at the same skate park, I went and got a splinter in MY hand!! I almost posted this same question last night...but I knew about the water, just wasn't sure if there was something else I could do.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• When I was little I remember my neighbor getting her kids' splinters out while they were sleeping.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:05 PM on May. 12, 2009