My son who is 4 years old is a pain in the ass,he does whatever it is to get my attention and its driving me nuts to the point that discipline doesn't help with him.How do I unspoil a child that seems to get his way at any means necessary?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 7:14 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is independent for his age and I think it is because we don't baby him yes four year old want to play but they also have to learn that there is a time and place for everything because when they go to kinder garden its not just play play play all day they will have a schedule to follow so maybe you should make a chart have chores, lessons,mommy and me time and time for him to play by his self he needs that there's not always going to be people around for him to play with and as far as discipline it doesn't take popping all of the time try making him sit in a chair in the corner and apologizing for what he does and telling you what he did wrong it sounds like a lot but in the long run its for his good. Spare the rod spoil the child. and I am one to believe that the rod doesn't always have to consist of getting a spanking. Remember two that he is a kid so let him be one but be the parent he needs.
    Justababygirl

Answer by Justababygirl at 7:42 PM on May. 11, 2009

• don't ignore him, play with him more often
    Anonymous

• Don't keep giving in to him! Spend more time with him, reading, coloring/drawing, playing, even watching TV together or playing video games...whatever. He's looking for attention, so give him some, and don't keep buying him his "silence!"

He;s FOUR years old....does he have any friends, go to preschool, get to run around in the park? That is what 4 years olds want to do.
    Anonymous

• Start rewarding good behavior. My daughter was driving me nuts with her behavior every time I picked up a phone. So she now earns a star if she has good phone manners while I'm talking. If she earns enough stars with her different tasks, she gets an ice cream cone on Saturday. She made a point of telling me how good she was after I hung up yesterday - just 2 weeks ago, she was oblivious to my requests for good behavior during phone calls.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Maybe start by not calling him a pain in the ass! Kids aren't born bad it comes from your parenting. He wants your attention and kids will do whatever it takes to get good or bad attention. Have you tried putting him in Preschool. Or focus his attention on something else?
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:13 PM on May. 12, 2009