Am I the only one that feels this way about breastfeeding in public?

Every time I hear someone say "as long as she doesn't whip her tit out", or suggest that mothers feed in the bathroom I want to either scream, launch into a long lecture on how what they just said is royally offensive to women and mothers, OR I want to demonstrate exactly how breastfeeding in public is done without a cover up, and why it's more discrete than using a cover up.

Lately, though, I've reached my tolerance limit and I want to whip MY tit out and hit them over the head with it like some sort of funny Bugs Bunny cartoon or something, complete with that whistling-through-the-air-and-bonking-hollowly sound effect.

Am I the only one that gets this annoyed/frustrated with people that are rude to breastfeeding mothers this way? Don't they understand that if they HAVE ever seen a woman breastfeeding topless in public, it's probably the result of her having reached the end of her rope with the rude comments? :p

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Lol! I got upset with someone at a store who wouldn't let me sit in the back of the store and nurse. No one was shopping in the store either. I told my hubby next time I see her working I am not even going to ask. I will sit in the front of the store and just "whip it out!" Maybe I will just sit there and hold my baby! Lol! Not really, I could never do that in public, but that's how I felt!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:27 PM on May. 11, 2009

• pump if you're going to be out for a while and know that the baby is gonna get hungry, geez it's not like the rest of us are bashing you it's just that there are other alternatives and I personally don't want my kids to see a baby sucking on it's mom's boob, i plan of bfing my son but i'm not letting my dd see me do it, it's too much to explain to a 2 y/o
    Anonymous

• Preach on OP!!! Wonderful wonderful and funny post!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Heh heh heh...I have a loaded breast and I'm not afraid to use it!

I suppose I don't understand why people are so threatened. A breast is a breast. Every woman has them. No big deal and honestly, yours isn't all that different from mine so who cares who sees what? The pervs don't need to see a breast to get off...they'll do so even on a woman in a burqa.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:33 PM on May. 11, 2009

• LOL.
    No. WHY should a bf mom have to PUMP? Why are women so anal about breastfeeding? IT IS NORMAL for a child to see another woman breastfeeding a child.
    Why do you think we now have breast feeding classes? Because most of us did not learn how from our mothers. For women who are so smart most of the time, ya really come across like an idiot on this issue.
    OP: I have had it with this issue too. I am a big woman so if I "whip it out" to smack someone they better run....I can take out 12 of the anti bfers in one "whap".
    Anonymous

• LOL! I haven't had anyone say anything to me, personally, about my breastfeeding in public, but I just DARE them to say a word, I would totally go off! Half the time I don't think people actually realize that I am nursing though, so yeah, no issues with that up to this point.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

LMFAO. I dont understand what the fuss is about either. If you dont want to see a mother feeding her baby than dont look. Its as simple as that.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 7:40 PM on May. 11, 2009

• idc either way if you want to bf your baby, but i do think you should cover it up in public places b/c ppl may get offended i'm not bashing it's jmo.. most bfing moms i've seen in the mall of whatever are not exposing themselves so whatever, now if i saw naked boobs or a topless mom doing it i'd freak out
    Anonymous

• I think you are overreacting. I have never found a reason to breastfeed in public yet. When my child needs fed, I find somewhere private or he waits until we get home.

I would find it offensive too. You don't need to do it, so don't. Go elsewhere, go home!! Yes, I think it is offensive, and I do it!
    Anonymous

• Breast are sexualized. It's unfortunate, but that's JUST HOW IT IS. It's offensive to many people for a woman to expose her breast, even if it is to feed a child. Personally, I don't care. But I can understand the POV of people who do. The only thing that annoys me about people who are against NIP is those are against ANY form of it, even if the baby is covered or the mom is in a nice private place; that's just ridiculous. But I don't think that the request to cover up to your best ability is too much to ask. We all want respect, don't we? So Pro-NIPs, agree to cover up a bit and Not-so-fond-of-NIPs learn to accept that BFing is a form of nourishing a child and get over it. OMG WOULD YA LOOK AT THAT! IT'S SO SIMPLE!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:52 PM on May. 11, 2009